Japan

kevbone

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Molten sodium thorium reactors

He3 fusion using lunar regolith

Geothermal, like the Kiwis use (and they are a small island located on a major fault line too just like the Japanese)

I've seen an analysis that 1000 square km of solar in Arizona could supply the energy needs of all of America. Given that climate change over the next 100 years will likely render the current population of Arizona unsustainably large due to permanent drought, this may be a wise use of the land.

Deep ocean thermal exchangers need to be explored in more detail. I've seen some very promising papers on the technology.

Has anybody studied possible climactic effects of removing that much energy from the oceanic thermal currents?

2m8BXUfrigwxydzhShLD63Jmo1_500.gif

Japan abandons stricken nuke plant over radiation

Associated Press 10 mins ago

FUKUSHIMA, Japan – Japan suspended operations to prevent a stricken nuclear plant from melting down Wednesday after a surge in radiation made it too dangerous for workers to remain at the facility.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said work on dousing reactors with water was disrupted by the need to withdraw.

The level of radiation at the plant surged to 1,000 millisieverts early Wednesday before coming down to 800-600 millisieverts. Still, that was far more than the average

"So the workers cannot carry out even minimal work at the plant now," Edano said. "Because of the radiation risk, we are on standby."

When I was a kid we had a friend who worked at Hanford he used to bring us Zirconium turnings (for fuel rods). It looked like coarse steel wool, you could light it and it burned with a brilliant white light, once it cot started it was impossible to put out. Later when I worked at the Naval weapons center we used it as an incendiary, that area of Japan is pretty much f*cked Cesium has a half life of 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hanford Nuclear Reservation, in the far northwestern corner of the continental United States, is the most contaminated nuclear site in the Western Hemisphere.

image-194548-galleryV9-ynff.jpg

The Western Hemisphere's Most Contaminated Place

Yup. Conveniently positioned UPSTREAM of Portland on the Columbia river. Oh, and by the way, we have had 19 BIG earthquakes over the last 10,000 years (~1 in 500 years, range 180-1,000 years). The last BIG one (8.7 to 9.2) took place at about 9 p.m. on January 26, 1700. We know about it because the Japanese have chronicled the arrival of a giant "orphan" tsunami (i.e. tsunami without an associated earthquake).

So, yes, come visit... :grin:

• 2 weeks later...