Class Warfare, Heartland USA,: Wisconsin

Crux

Madison, 17Feb2011: Dem State Senators Leave State To Block Budget Quorum.

NBC affiliate in Madison reports that Democratic lawmakers may have left the state entirely, in order to avoid arrest by the state police, as ordered by Republican chair to force a vote.

(Governor went on record last week, in favor of calling up the National Guard if necessary.)

(As long as Democrats can stay off the Assembly (Senate) floor, the vote cannot happen, per Wisconsin law. Yet Wisconsin law provides for police and/or military force to be deployed to force lawmakers to the floor.) (!)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW - how do you personally define the classes here?

There are those who gain from their capacity to use collective bargaining to extract more compensation from the public treasury and there are those who lose via public sector service delivery that is more expensive and less cost-efficient than it would be otherwise, but that's about it.

can regressives be any more blatant with their divide and conquer tactics?

yes.

seem to recall something very simliar to this in texas a bunch of years back?

That was a fight over who got to rig the game of redrawing the congressional districts to favor their own party.

BTW - how do you personally define the classes here?

There are those who gain from their capacity to use collective bargaining to extract more compensation from the public treasury and there are those who lose via public sector service delivery that is more expensive and less cost-efficient than it would be otherwise, but that's about it.

OMG! Public School teachers make $50k a year! THE NERVE OF THEM!

The Righties frame this conflict as 'selfish state workers who wont' share the burden', but the governor's openly stated that he's out to remove the collective bargaining power of state employees.

Seems like a power grab that blown up in the governor's face.

Don't think he threatened to haul the dems in at the point of a national guard bayonet, though.

i might remind you that those who are professionally "my kids" are collectively "your kids" :)

pete, i routinely start my class w/ quotes, facts, stats, political cartoons, pics, etc. - i usually want to understand them meself though, at least so i can help the kids sort out their own take on it - i can't say i understand your pics - wanna help? :)

i might remind you that those who are professionally "my kids" are collectively "your kids" :)

pete, i routinely start my class w/ quotes, facts, stats, political cartoons, pics, etc. - i usually want to understand them meself though, at least so i can help the kids sort out their own take on it - i can't say i understand your pics - wanna help? :)

As a teacher, how you do feel about the mass use of sick days to shut the school system down and encouragement by the teachers for students to join in protesting (in lieu of attending school)?

As a teacher, how you do feel about the mass use of sick days to shut the school system down and encouragement by the teachers for students to join in protesting (in lieu of attending school)?

Teacher's shouldn't politic the kids, IMHO. The kids do not have a clue what's going on, though, nor do their parents. Taking sick days? I guess they're sick. At least they're standing up for something they believe in.

The protesters are claiming to be protesting certain policies yet their argumentation seems to be more of an ad hominem nature and is at best clichéd sloganeering. I was struck by how closely they resembled J_B’s attacks argumentation on this site. The links we a couple examples that popped up on a google search.