Greatest shredder of all time.

kevbone

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

music involves a variety of instruments working together.

Agreed.

Obsessing on one instrument isn't a good thing.

Who is obsessing? Greatest shredder could mean any instument. I am not just a guitar player.

You probably don't get it.

Get what?

post 20 links to Eddie Van Halen for us to see.

No Van Halen here.

Ok I'll bite.

Realize, of course, that art, its effect, affect, quality, and the perceived mastery of technique is ALL 100% subjective and open to individual interpretation.

Who was a better artist, Rembrandt or Picasso? Michaelangeo or Rodin?

If you ask me, the "quality" of art, and an attempt to quantify it epitomizes the arbitrary.

Technique is not "feel" or passion.

Some have feel and soul that they've been able to emit through their instrument. Dave Gilmore, Jeff Beck, and S.R.V. are some my faves in that way. When you can get that vibrato from holding a bend and doin' with your fret-hand, as opposed to with the whammy (good technique when applied "well", but for the sake of the vibrato itself: lame) that's the SHIT!

I spend almost all my practice time holding and shaking bends.

For pure technique, Vai is probably my favorite, and I think he's nailed both in a (very) few instances. 'For the love of God' comes to mind. With that said, there's probably someone out there who may have the ability to nail it without a wah or whammy on a stop bridge les paul. Like... DAYUMM DUDE!

Shred for the sake of shred, to me is like jazz. It's masterbatory. Some like it. Not my bag. So I agree with all above posts making the point that a million notes a minute doesn't make my boat float. Do I wish I could do it? Hells yeah! But I no longer, since 20 yrs go, attempt it. In the end, for me, it's all about the final product: the song. And for the sake of the song, the instrument is no more than a tool applied to that end.

But really, this thread is comparing apples and oranges and handgrenades. Quanitifying something that's purely qualitative is an exercise in futility... sorta like my wanting to learn to climb steep ice.

But gosh darnit it's fun!

The ability to blend both passion, and shred and yield something that "does it for us" is as subjective as it comes.

Yet I believe most of us would agree its a rare ability.