E Oregon gonna be cooooold!

From NOAA today:

THERE ARE PRELIMINARY INDICATIONS THAT THE COLDEST AIR MASS OF THE SEASON WILL MOVE INTO EASTERN OREGON BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK WHICH COULD RESULT IN MIN TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS OR BELOW ZERO.

thanksgiving ice anyone!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some photos from about one year ago during the second ascent of that very route.After_Image_Honey_Pot.JPGFirst_Pitch1.JPGThe start was fun. The business above was tricky.Reliable_.JPGThis was the only good gear protecting the crux. Loose dry tooling to the ice.Cranking_The_Crux.JPGAmazing lead!Gunnin_For_The_Top_.JPGThe upper pitch was a dream.White_Bark_At_The_Top_.JPGHere is the tree that we used for the rappel. I used it once before!P1020027.JPGThats Strawberry lake below. You ski across that on the approach.This_Is_A_Steep_Place_.JPGThis climb is very high quality! It is also a serious undertaking in an alpine environment. If anyone gets there let me know how things look. Also the falls down in the timber are a good place with short safe climbing. It should be forming up already; for sure by turkey day.

Its near there. Strawberry Mountain is two miles away. I think the locals call that rabbit ears, when I first laid eyes on that I was amazed! We went in Thanks giving weekend 1996. Climbed it in February 97 on a continuous hard pillar. The depth hoar can get pretty scary later on. There is some other good lines, but nothing as wild as that. Glad to share!

Mark H-

Also the falls down in the timber are a good place with short safe climbing. It should be forming up already; for sure by turkey day.

Is the approach long assed? Skis?

Yes on the skis, put it this way, if you can handle the drive over from PDX the approach is nothing. You go up the strawberry lake trail, then up toward little strawberry lake, which is pretty much at the base of the final open slope you go up to the base of this climb. Strawberry falls is down in the Timber too. It all depends how far up the Strawberry Lake road you can get. About a little over 3 miles one way if you can drive to the Strawberry Lake trail head, or if you have a snowmachine to get you up to the TH. It is defenitley a 5.5 hour+ drive from PDX to Prairie City under normal driving conditions, in winter it can be significantly longer. I used to live in JD and work on the upper john day and on the backside in Logan Valley (upper Malheur) for a few years.

quick googling found this, with a few photos in summer and an approach map to L. Strawberry Lake.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rmav50MtQoU/SqF0CJBJcAI/AAAAAAAAAcU/YJ-RFgurhNM/s320/Strawberry%2BFalls.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hikemasters.com/2009/09/strawberry-lakes-strawberry-mountain.html&usg=__CAXymIS39LJk1jQgbRRGyNb3mkA=&h=320&w=207&sz=28&hl=en&start=8&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=2PijypIjdFecRM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=76&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstrawberry%2Bfalls%2Boregon%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

Edited by shapp

• 2 months later...