Dino Rossi

Hugh Conway

More nonsense based on misinformation, Jay. Bus drivers do not make 100k. This site indicates that in Seattle, where they are presumably paid more than they are in Yakima, they make $50k. I've talked to several bus drivers about their income and even that is higher than almost all of those I've seen.

Not only are you misinformed, but you talk in truisms. Even the most ardent union booster will tell you that the government exists to serve the public interest rather than the private interest of individual employees. So what.

You've fallen for a "war on government workers" that is a smokescreen for those whose goal is to reduce government. Personally, I wish we could pay police officers and school teachers more than we do because I think it would probably get us better cops and better teachers. I don't know about bus drivers.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jay actually knew anyone who was a teacher, bus driver, cop, or any of the other government parasites he rails against, he might enjoy the advantage of more accurate information and greater credibility.

Instead, he's pretty much a more verbose version of FW, parroting the right wing blogs and their fantasy numbers. Waste of an intellect, but what can you do?

More nonsense based on misinformation, Jay. Bus drivers do not make 100k. This site indicates that in Seattle, where they are presumably paid more than they are in Yakima, they make $50k. I've talked to several bus drivers about their income and even that is higher than almost all of those I've seen.

Matt go look at the contract with the union it's available online. I wonder tho what is the average FTE of the drivers you spoke with? Without this information your comments regarding their wages are simply chatter. Jay was not claiming that Metro drivers earned $100k. He was saying if you felt that they deserved that salary perhaps you should donate some funds to them. This interpretation of what JayB meant is consistent with an earlier link he posted that claimed "~10% of Metro driver earn over $75K."

Not only are you misinformed, but you talk in truisms. Even the most ardent union booster will tell you that the government exists to serve the public interest rather than the private interest of individual employees. So what.

I think Jay's point was that "the public sector exists to deliver services that no other entity in society can". Clearly you swerve avoid this issue and create a smokescreen of your own. This is an interesting issue with regard to transportation because the history of public transporttion in the US is one of the private sector being squeezed out by unions and government monopolies.

You've fallen for a "war on government workers" that is a smokescreen for those whose goal is to reduce government. Personally, I wish we could pay police officers and school teachers more than we do because I think it would probably get us better cops and better teachers. I don't know about bus drivers.

If Jay actually knew anyone who was a teacher, bus driver, cop, or any of the other government parasites he rails against, he might enjoy the advantage of more accurate information and greater credibility.

Instead, he's pretty much a more verbose version of FW, parroting the right wing blogs and their fantasy numbers. Waste of an intellect, but what can you do?

i wish it were so simple - didn't i meet you at smith once jay? recall you being plenty funny and friendly - at any rate, he's a far more civil bloke and likely as not smarter than me (a simple feat, i know) and no less informed - its damned impossible for me to understand how folks so similiar to myself can have such different views on important subjects...ah, but this misses the pt of being funny...

You've fallen for a "war on government workers" that is a smokescreen for those whose goal is to reduce government.

There is no gullibility here. Jay is fully aware of the mendacity of his positions. The subjects change but the goal and the tactics always remain the same.

This is what has been puzzling me quite a bit lately. Most of our resident regressives are not outright monsters on the order of say, Pol Pot or Dick Cheney, and they aren't flat-out stoopid like yer typical teabagger, or even Missy O'Donnell, so what drives their particular ideology? I've given up on trying to have a reasoned discussion with their ilk, because it only ever seems to result in lies, personal attacks, tangential and misleading responses, or, my personal favorite, suggestions to Lick Sack. Like that settles anything.

Where does that deep seated resentment of so many other people come from? What's so effing threatening about someone making a modest yet decent living driving a bus, pushing papers for the gummint, or heavens forbid, dependent on public assistance for some of their basic needs like healthcare? I'll bet everyone here bitching and moaning about cutting their taxes doesn't find it too hard maintain a decent standard or living, and has enough left over to fill up their gas tank for a weekend in the mountains equipped with a few thousand dollars worth of outdoor gear.

And all the while they think that they are pulling for people who want to help lower their taxes, the top %5 of the income pyramid is gobbling up bigger and bigger chunks of everything in sight, making damn sure that their taxes go down by a king's ransom, and shifting the tax burden down to the middle class suckers who believe their propaganda. Meanwhile, if you happen to be poor, old, sick, unemployed, or some other unimportant looser, tough shit. You should have made better choices, eh?

Like all things that contradict his anti-tax, anti-government propaganda, JayB is certainly not going to acknowledge that the average wage for metro bus drivers is 50k. I said it several times in this thread and he ignored it. That's a classic JayB move. If he doesn't answer something, you can be pretty sure that you were right on the mark.

Didn't you also see that Ennis who wrote JayB's reference article is with the Washington Policy Center, a neoliberal think tank aligned at 100% with the like of CEI, CATO, etc ..? They are the kind of propaganda outfit that are rabidly anti-green because they refuse to acknowledge externalities and the real cost of doing business. They are a bunch of sociopaths.

Matt go look at the contract with the union it's available online. I wonder tho what is the average FTE of the drivers you spoke with? Without this information your comments regarding their wages are simply chatter. Jay was not claiming that Metro drivers earned $100k. He was saying if you felt that they deserved that salary perhaps you should donate some funds to them. This interpretation of what JayB meant is consistent with an earlier link he posted that claimed "~10% of Metro driver earn over $75K."

I think Jay's point was that "the public sector exists to deliver services that no other entity in society can". Clearly you swerve avoid this issue and create a smokescreen of your own. This is an interesting issue with regard to transportation because the history of public transporttion in the US is one of the private sector being squeezed out by unions and government monopolies.

Oh dear. 10% of bus drivers earn over $75k. The horror! The horror!

So back the drivers….the question is not whether they make as much money as you hot as shit cc.commies but rather are they overpaid compared to what they would earn outside of the government/union monopoly. I think the answer to that is yes. For example school bus drivers earn a wage far lower than Metro drivers. The median greyhound driver wage is less than the lowest tier Metro driver!

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Greyhound_Lines%2c_Inc./Hourly_Rate

I am sure if we started including benefits into the calculation The spread between Metro and free® market would be even greater.

Tvash - I provided several comparison positions. I'll will add one more: Shuttle bus drivers for several large corporations in the Seattle area earn less than metro drivers.

But your point about school drivers is a good one. Those working less than full time often earn more in base pay if they have reduced benefits. So it is quite probable that we should actually discount the school drivers wage rate in order to be comparing apple to apples. Perhaps Mr Math can help us there.......

Those working less than full time often earn more in base pay if they have reduced benefits. So it is quite probable that we should actually discount the school drivers wage rate in order to be comparing apple to apples. Perhaps Mr Math can help us there.......

lulz. it's mr hot shit himself!