Sure is quiet...

KaskadskyjKozak

Beautiful day out there!

I was thinking about Rossi last night. He's in the 'real estate investment' biz, or was, rather - that has to be doing well these days LOL....and just blew his wad on two, and now probably three failed elections.

Age 51 and drowning in debt. With all those kids. Ouch.

I almost feel sorry for him, but then again I think...maybe there is a God.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought about it that way, Tvash, but I think you're right: in a sense it was a fair fight. The impacts of Citizens United probably favor the Republicans over the Democrats at least a little bit, but that issue aside I think the main reason the Democrats did poorly is that they are completely inept at delivering a coherent message. For example: it is the Democrats' unwillingness or inability to simply point to the last three decades' example that allows Republicans and Tea Partiers to say that the Republicans are more fiscally responsible than the Democrats at this point, and apparently even well meaning and least somewhat informed citizens like KK accept such nonsense (I say somewhat informed because, although he may well watch a lot of "fair and balanced" FOX TV, KK at least gets the strait scoop here on cc.com).

It's a fair fight for the two-wings of the corporate party, but not for anybody else. It's not a question of messaging for Democrats, it's a question of doing. In particular, making sure their constituencies don't pay for this crisis while the banksters get away with the loot.

It's a fair fight for the two-wings of the corporate party, but not for anybody else. It's not a question of messaging for Democrats, it's a question of doing. In particular, making sure their constituencies don't pay for this crisis while the banksters get away with the loot.

how does restricting the speech of the rich promote the speech of the poor again? if the rule is nobody can spend more than 100$ on political speech a year, for example (and what fun that will be to define and enforce!), everyone's voice will go equally unheard as 100$ doesn't get you any tv and only enough stamps to canvass your own damn neighborhood.

I hadn't thought about it that way, Tvash, but I think you're right: in a sense it was a fair fight. The impacts of Citizens United probably favor the Republicans over the Democrats at least a little bit, but that issue aside I think the main reason the Democrats did poorly is that they are completely inept at delivering a coherent message. For example: it is the Democrats' unwillingness or inability to simply point to the last three decades' example that allows Republicans and Tea Partiers to say that the Republicans are more fiscally responsible than the Democrats at this point, and apparently even well meaning and least somewhat informed citizens like KK accept such nonsense (I say somewhat informed because, although he may well watch a lot of "fair and balanced" FOX TV, KK at least gets the strait scoop here on cc.com).

Hey, if you got something to say, go raise some money and say it. If you can't get anybody to pony up, sorry man.

The Citizens decision does have the practical effect of leveling the playing field in favor of those who challenge incumbents, the latter of which enjoy the advantage of battle tested fund raising engines and name recognition. Case in point: Murray v Rossi - she outspent him 10:1 in direct funding, but swift boaters made up the difference for Dino, apparently.

how does restricting the speech of the rich promote the speech of the poor again? if the rule is nobody can spend more than 100$ on political speech a year, for example (and what fun that will be to define and enforce!), everyone's voice will go equally unheard as 100$ doesn't get you any tv and only enough stamps to canvass your own damn neighborhood.

What do you mean by "speech"?

The Citizens decision does have the practical effect of leveling the playing field...

There's that phase again. It "levels the playing field" for those capable of raising millions of dollars in corporate cash. Period. It's a de facto form of disenfranchisment as real as the poll tax, literacy test, or property requirement. It's just that now the candidates are pre-filtered by moneyed interests.

Edited by prole

The Citizens decision does have the practical effect of leveling the playing field...

There's that phase again. It "levels the playing field" for those capable of raising millions of dollars in corporate cash. Period.

Yup. And that includes non-profits (like Citizens United, for example)- which includes the ones near and dear to my heart.

We've got the smarts, fund raising engine, strategic thinking, balls, and now the freedom to speak out as we see fit.

I'm all for it.