Life Sucks

crackers

One of my best friends built a dream home with his life partner. It took them two or three years to find the property, get it permitted and another year to build the house. My friend left the a very successful career running his family business and totally enjoyed building this dream home with his life partner.

They finished it in May. They invited us to a mega house warming party in October.

On July 13, his life partner was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Diagnosis of pancreatic cancer rarely occurs before metastasis to the lymph nodes and liver. Your liver hurts, you go to the doctor, and they try to cheer you up by telling you that chemo can help. If it hadn't spread, they can do surgery, but usually cancer is already all over your body...

At that point the mortality rate is about 100% at six months.

I feel so fucking bad for my friend. Even though my wife and I have had a few pretty big fights this year, I simply can't imagine being told that she would be dead and then watching her die in the following six months. Especially after all the stress that went into just building out our kitchen...if we were still married after building a dream home, and then she died, I'd fucking torch the place.

I wish they had been able to just get palliative care from the beginning. They had the urge and the need to fight; now she is dying in a hospital bed far from home, their friends and their community.

Life sucks. Write a valid living will. Learn about what palliative care is.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of the pain that your friends, and you, are going through...takes the wind right outta me. So very sorry to hear that news. Thank you for putting your thoughts and feelings out there, though, to give us all something to think about.

My partner and I have built two houses together in our 15yrs, and nearly gotten divorced over dumb things like paint colors and light fixtures. Sure puts it into perspective when something REALLY important comes along to remind us of what matters and what doesn't.

Sucks to learn that lesson the hard way.

Yep, stake it all out in a living will and execute a medical power of attorney for each other.

Word. And make sure you have two or three witnesses and a notary public when do do the medical power of attorney...

Thanks for listening folks. I needed to vent, and I appreciate y'all reading it.

That seriously sucks. I'm very sorry for your friend.

"The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means."

~Oscar Wilde.

I remember wishing that wasn't true when I first came across that quote a long time ago but life seems to favor Wilde's take on things.

I don't know what their options are or what they've considered, but if they haven't looked into enrolling in experimental clinical trials (if there are any) and that's something that they'd be willing to consider - who knows, there might be a chance.

A good friend of ours' father was dying of leukemia and was the very first person saved by a treatment he was given in a clinical trial, and it's now the standard therapy.

And death shall have no dominion.

Dead mean naked they shall be one

With the man in the wind and the west moon;

When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,

They shall have stars at elbow and foot;

Though they go mad they shall be sane,

Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;

Though lovers be lost love shall not;

And death shall have no dominion.