Community? No.

Jens

This site kicks ass. It is pretty cool to be able to save a tank of gas by getting conditons from trip reports or get info about that obscure route. We may be lulled into getting the feeling that the cc.com community is bascially a pretty good slice of the Cascade climbing community. It is not. It is amazing how many climbers I associate with either have never been to this site or have lurked once or twice early on and then not returned, or lurk about once a year. I am refering to newbies and also some of the most bad-ass climbers in this part of the country. When one runs into climbers out in the hills, some people think that this site is the last word on issues. It is a great site, though and these are not necesarrily my opinions but I thought I'd spray a little. I'm bored. Feel free to flame away.

[big Drink]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only climbers I've talked to who don't check in to the site, yet who are aware of it, seem to have a snooty attitude about it, as though participation assigns you to a class of mediocre climbers. Oddly enough, their abilities aren't really extraordinary either, and many of these guys admit that the banter can be humorously entertaining. I guess I don't really miss hearing from a bunch of stuffy guys who think they're one phone call away from getting sponsored by Power-Goo or some such horseshit.

As Jens points out, the information about ice conditions can save you hours of driving; this kind of information was previously unavailable. On the otherhand, if you're stuck at home raising a child or working on a paper, you can jump on the boards and entertain yourself with snappy alpine chat.

While it may be true that these board regulars only represent a very small fraction of PNW climbers, it's a dedicated bunch, and in general probably WAY more experienced than the other options.

Where else can you find climbing community that is varied, dedicated, and all in one place? And what options are there for climbing community? Let's...break it down:

The Mountaineers: Please, lets not even go there

Climbing Gym: Lots of spraying, lots of sport monkeys, and some hard-core people who get up big and hard stuff. Overall, not enough outdoor experience in the population and not genuine enough in discussion because of the posing factor.

American Alpine Club: Plenty of active and experienced people, but not alot going on as far as "community". Good publications and stuff, but not alot of interaction among members

College clubs/groups: Good for teaching basics and introduction style stuff, but the young population precludes alot of expereince.

CC.com: Lots of spray, but tons of experience and people who aren't afraid to share it. A place where hundreds of people can "gather" on their own schedule in their own home/office, and get info, find a partner, or discuss issues relavant to the community. Where else will you find a group of people who've:

Written guide books, put up FAs all over the NW, climbed in the Himalaya, Andes, Alaska, Canadian Rockies, and other "foreign ranges" (yeah I know Alaska is US soil, but if Canada is foreign, so is Alaska). Redpointed 5.13, climbed 5.12 trad, and bouldered V10. We've probably done at least 15 El Cap routes between us, and I know at least one person who frequents the board has led one of the hardest and most dangerous aid pitches on El Cap (not me, but it's the Coral Sea pitch on Native Son and if you wanna know who it was do a search). There are guides, former guides, and aspirant guides. There are "all-arounders" who climb anything that gets them off the ground..snow,ice, rock, dirt, trees. There are bolt-choppers, free soloists, and even people in Minnesota in this "community". And, there are even...gasp..non-climbers. The history and tradition of local climbs and areas,which used to be handed down through generations, continues to be shared on this board long after the climbing population became too big for the old mentoring methods. Don't buy it? See some of the threads where Dwayner, Specialed, et-al chime in on the old Leavenworth guide service and the community and history there. Listen to the old dads spray about Index "back in the day"...something about dead animals that I don't get, or see the FFA history/story of DDD.

It only be a fraction of the population of climbers, but take a look the next time you're in a gym and ask yourself "would I want to be climbing a serious route with any of these jokers?" I always asked myself "where are all those cats from the gym?" when I'd be out at Beacon this summer, never saw any of them. I made a trip to Smith in the fall and then I knew why...must have seen 25 people from the Portland Rock gym down there. Ok, too much talky-talky, I'm of the soapbox (for a little while anyway)

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:
I know at least one person who frequents the board has led one of the hardest and most dangerous aid pitches on El Cap (not me, but it's the Coral Sea pitch on Native Son and if you wanna know who it was do a search).

and now he is on his way to patagonia. have fun ya bastard!

I know of at least one person who frequents this board who is stocky, climbs 5.9 and WI3, smokes weed and owns guns.

I know of at least one person who frequents this board who has climbed Mt Rainier, not once, but several times!

I know of at least two Canadian membes of this board who work for the government, and at least two members that are highly placed employees at MEC.

I know of several "persons" who frequent this board that exist only in the imagination! grin.gif" border="0

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Dammit, the Warden said that I could list those on my resume'

Willstrickland123 Sesame StHometown, USA

Edumacation: I gradyeated the sixth grade

Expereince: Head Rock Buster - Folsom Federal Penetentiary 6/92-Present Busted rocks and sucked cocks for cigarettes. Utilized management skills to organize a "bitch mentoring program". Developed first rate busting skills operating both a 15lb sledge and iron wedge. Developed multi-tasking skills by watching my backside and picking up the soap concurrently.

Tool and Die adjuster - Joliet State Prison, IL5/90-4/92Set-up die and stamping operations for license plate machines for the state of Illinois. Used people skills to organize a riot with a record 96% participation rate. Received several awards including "Brown Crown of the Year", "Mr. Tossed Salad Man", and "Most Likely to Stab Cellmate in the Eye with a rusty fork".

Stock Broker - Shady and Shady Ltd, Wall Street,NY2/83-4/90BOught and sold "junk bonds" in association with Charles Keating and Michael Milken. Awarded the "Revenue Generator of the Year" award for making Shady and Shady over 47 Million in profits in FY '86.

This is a real interesting topic indeed. When Jon and I dreamed up the site while hiking up to Cascade Pass, I think both of us never thought it would grow into what it is, and I never thought that it would cause a bit of controversey at times, and even sprout threads on wether or not it is a true "climbing community". I can't help but chuckle a bit [laf]

All I know is this... the board has at times offered some usefull info to some folks out there... it has brought together climbers on the crags, in the pubs, and online... I think that is all I ever wanted the site to be, and I'm pretty happy to see that people out there can pass spare time at work here at the site, having fun... whether it be by spraying beta or talking trash.

I dunno, I just think its pretty cool that some positive stuff has come from the site, heck anything that creates a good vibe nowadays is a good thing.

And I can't count how many times I have busted out laughing, quite load, when reading some shit on the boards, I love it.

So anyways, after a little over a year, I think its pretty gosh darn cool what the site has grown to, and am happy to front the ca$h to help keep it running.

spray lives, in my basement

as for now my friends, the freshiez are calling my name.

thats another thing, if it weren't for the boards, the spreading of the gospel of freshiness would have taken much more effort [Wazzup]

TIMM@Y

i suck at climbing, but still get up shit

This site IS a great resource. I disagree with Pope, however, if he is suggesting that it is no loss not to hear from those who shun the site because they have a snooty attitude and none of them are very good climbers anyway. First of all, my apologies Mr. Pope, but you have frequently expressed a "snooty attitude" yourself and this site seems to have room for people with all kinds of attitudes. Second of all, I don't care what their abilities are -- if they have an opinion on BillyBob's Bolted Badness, or if they know about the latest washout on the Cascade River Road, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

I don't mean to pick an argument with Pope. What I'm saying is that when I talk to these not- overly-talented-climbers-with-a-snotty-attitude they uniformly complain about the name-calling, intimidation, and incitement to vigilantism that crops up on this site sometimes. Spray on, and have fun in 2002, everybody, but lets keep in mind the fact that some people don't like that kind of crap. This site DOES rock, and I hope it only gets better.

I come here for the humor mostly. Then the chicks, then reports and finally beta.

If these dudes dont wanna post that is their deal. I will keep intimidating and having a bad attitude here. I like it that way bah humbug! [laf]

This site rocks for spray and everything else too. If it was not for spray I would never come here. Like I always say I post stuff here too blush.gif" border="0

Not even a slice of the Cascade Climbing Community. This site is a few small crumbs. If enough people started posting to create an entire slice, this site would be AMAZING. Several weeks ago I helped organize a small meeting regarding crag maintenance. About half the people who came were from CC.com. None of the extreme posters expressed any interest in attending. One of those attending was Jon, CC.com's co-founder. I was surprised how everyone including some of those who regularly posted were either extremely negative about this site or thought that the spray often had a deleterious impact. I felt bad for Jon as the meeting was not organized to bash CC.com. I ENCOURAGED those who refused to post to start posting. To date none have. These are guys who climb all the time and are willing to invest their time into the "community.” (Off subject but I have to add that as a direct result of that meeting, different groups have gone out and trimmed trails, replaced old bolts and researched land ownership issues.)

By listing all the accomplishments of the various regulars Will indirectly suggests how much this site is missing! If more could be inspired to participate the beta available would be amazing. Wouldn't it be great to post a request for beta on the full ridge on Bear and have someone send you a topo in reply? I think so. This doesn’t mean that spray is always bad. Some of it is good-natured fun. Some posts offer humorous reading. Some is misconstrued as being more mean spirited than is intended by the posters. Some however is just plain rude. Most people I talk to won't post here not because they have a snooty attitude, but because of the offensive attitudes expressed on this site. These are climbers of all abilities and ranges of experience. Mattp is right on the money. A rank beginner telling me about a washed out road is just as useful as and old pro doing so.

Sometime ago Dana's Arch was listed as a subject. I sent one person who posted to the thread a PM which turned into a short series of exchanges. In his first reply he said he said he understood why I was reluctant to enter into an online debate. Just an example of how this site falls short of its promise.

This site’s swinging; real rockin’ can’t be too far away.