Rapping w/ 10mm and 8mm

Crillz

What is the concensus with these diameters?

Would you always set up the rap so that you were pulling the 8mm, or are the diameters close enough? Actually 9.9 vs 8.

I'm going to use a 1/2 rope as my tag line. I'm nervous about stuck ropes on this trip, so I'm leaning against a static, skinnier tag line.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before there was tests which have shown that different diameter ropes were less than ideal for the overhand knot (thank god no one called it the euro death knot yet), we used to rap on a 11 mm / 7mm combo and we didn't die. Still not a good idea though just due to knot creep. But your 2mm difference between rope diameters is not much so hopefully knot creep won't be much of an issue.

Your hesitancy to skinny static is a good one. If getting a rope stuck is a real possibility, I would want to have the thicker lead line pulled so I would have that to lead back and clear the stuck skinny rope.

Euro death knot works fine. Just make sure it is laid correctly and you take a bit moe time with it than you would with a pair of 9s for example. I also leave a good tail and dbl knot it.

Like anything new to you in climbing, try it first under controlled circumstances before you bail off that 70 meter over hang :)

Seems adding knots in the tails would be counterproductive to that though.

Agreed. Biggest reason my ropes hang is the inability on occasion to choose a clear and easy pulling anchor location. Its not been the knot/knots generally. 5mm and 7/9mm is a funky set up even though it works fine and the single knot I find...well....honestly...a bit scary :)