Salinger Dead at 91

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

same day as howard zinn eh? i'm sure you're a fan of him too kk :)

i never have understand why folks dig on catcher - if ever a fictional character needed to lick sack, holden was he!

Yes, an annoying character, not too different from j_b or prole (I can't deal with reality and life!!!). But the book is well-written and very memorable and unique.

Did you read his short-stories? That Bananafish story is fucking disturbing.

nope - stopped reading fiction largely in college, 'roudn the same time i read catcher to see what all the historical fuss was about

my main memory of the book was that it seemed the oldest book i'd read to use so many dirty, dirty words :)

that and "stupid jerks"

nope - stopped reading fiction largely in college, 'roudn the same time i read catcher to see what all the historical fuss was about

my main memory of the book was that it seemed the oldest book i'd read to use so many dirty, dirty words :)

that and "stupid jerks"

strange, I had a different impression for some reason. Didn't Trash say you walked around quoting Beowulf?

yeah, roudn the time i started climbing/doing stupd long hikes i got a recording of seamus heanney reciting his translation and it stuck - not the whole thing yet unfortunately, but enough to cover the snow creek lot to the base of the base of the wall :)

Bunch Of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger

CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.