Yes, Obama did turn out to be a TRUST buster!

Peter_Puget

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't you ever discuss anything without shifting the goal posts in the middle of an argument? whether you spend your time here posting TR is irrelevant to how much time you spend on line versus working as you pretended was the issue.

can't you ever discuss anything without trying to smear your opponent or somehow label him as unAmerican? you are a goon through and through, dude. I should have stuck with the standard neanderthal crossing picture for it is all that your interventions warrant.

The point of the site is climbing. I don't understand anyone who is pure spray in general, but all the more so when their posts are mono-dimensional. There are plenty of internet sites to discuss US politics.

no answer to any of my comments. more non-sequitur.

The point of this board is community. It takes all types to make a community you freaking nazi.

I tend to find most people not engaged on a personal level, and it is not only magnified when dealing with stress but it can have disastrous consequences, which is the main reason I stopped choosing partners only with climbing in mind. Too many expeditions with strangers, I guess.

I tend to find most people not engaged on a personal level, and it is not only magnified when dealing with stress but it can have disastrous consequences, which is the main reason I stopped choosing partners only with climbing in mind. Too many expeditions with strangers, I guess.

how about starting with a nice hike up Mt. Si then? If KK pisses you off you can snag an ice axe from a passing Mountie for a weapon...

That the middle class is rapidly eroding is statistical fact. The typical counter argument from the Right is 'you're a kook', but I've never heard or read anything, not one thing, from that confederation of dunces to actually refute what is obvious, both anecdotally and numerically. Hint for the simple or lazy minded: start by comparing cost of living to wages.

Now, on the other side of the coin, to even remotely compare today's situation, which really isn't that bad, to the 30's, which was an abject nightmare (as recounted by my parents, for example), is patently ridiculous. It's an issue of perspective. We now have two generations who have enjoyed suckling on mommy's warm and loving tit, basically exposed to little or no hardship. When hardship comes around, as it has, it's little surprise that a great big cry of WTF? should rise towards the heavens.

That the middle class is rapidly eroding is statistical fact. The typical counter argument from the Right is 'you're a kook', but I've never heard or read anything, not one thing, from that confederation of dunces to actually refute what is obvious, both anecdotally and numerically. Hint for the simple or lazy minded: start by comparing cost of living to wages.

Now, on the other side of the coin, to even remotely compare today's situation, which really isn't that bad, to the 30's, which was an abject nightmare (as recounted by my parents, for example), is patently ridiculous. It's an issue of perspective. We now have two generations who have enjoyed suckling on mommy's warm and loving tit, basically exposed to little or no hardship. When hardship comes around, as it has, it's little surprise that a great big cry of WTF? should rise towards the heavens.

dude, you should try to get out of your bubble. There are ten's of thousands without homes in many major cities. Unemployment among minorities is upward of 50% according to age group. etc ..

you've got to be kidding: "today's situation [..] really isn't that bad."

nearly 20% real unemployment on average (that 1 in 5 and not 1 in 10 as claimed by Obama last night). 10's of millions making it from paycheck to paycheck and the constant threat of losing their sole income. Millions of retirements gone up in smoke. Millions have lost their homes and nearly everything else, including access to health care (40,000 death a year for lack of access). Millions of older workers and professionals have lost their careers forever. No real perspective of "recovery" in sight besides low paying jobs and debt servitude.

Edited by j_b

It only seems bad from a historical perspective because you've been coddled all you life, and are apparently not closely enough connected to the last generation that wasn't to realize that.

The Civil War, Depression, and WWII were bad times for America. This is what I would call a 'trying' time.

Still, the opinion that we'll 'get through this and back to normal' is also bullshit. We're not ever going to 'get through this'. This is a sea change; we're running out of resources, and that will continue to make a permanent and profound difference in our way of life...and a substantial, permanent decrease in our wealth. We've peaked...no doubt about it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Let's face it; we're arrogant, ignorant, and careless fuckwads. We've been begging for a kick in the balls for a long time now. Perhaps enough of us will learn something from it to collectively mitigate the damage.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

poor n' fat is still better than poor n' hungry

do read "the worst hard time" though - crazy shit - it's about the dustbowl - months on end without seeing the sun, homes literally buried by blowing sand, nearly every infant dying of "dust pnuemonia", people no longer able to shake hands b/c of all the static electricity in the air, not a blade of grass to be seen for years, livestock reduced to eating fence-posts they could excavate from under-sand

the fact that poor people can be fat and hopelessly disconnected from everythign via tv and a host of wireless devices that bring them comfort, if not enligthenment, is clearly part of the problem

but there's no way its worse today than in the depression

well, I didn't say the absolute worse today is worse than during the great depression (although the life expectancy of inner city black youth gives me pause) and I don't think it should be the gauge of what is bad enough to consider that the situation is very bad.

The dust bowl was also a combination of depression economics and natural disaster (mostly avoidable if land speculators had been reigned in).