Are Hiking and Scrambling Trip Reports ok?

Josh Lewis

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrambling isn't climbing. Use your own judgement.

So what is climbing? Only vertical? Only 4th class plus rock? Only 5th class rock? Only things that call for rope from exposure? Only thing that the community deems cool? I think scrambling is as much climbing as anything else. Three points plus of contact, off trail, going up peaks? Sounds like climbing to me.

I personally believe the only real prerequisite for a TR would be that the OP was out doing something that challenged them, got them into the outdoors, and was fun and worthwhile. Adding in a bonus of lessons learned and inspiration for others.

Climbing, scrambling, canyoneering,and general outdoor funhogging would seem legit.

If you feel the trip might not be 93% appropriate then post it under Counseling Corner or risking fire, spray.

The best TR is the one having the most fun.

Tvash has posted some scramble/hikes with fabulous photos that are always welcomed. Your previous posts have been highly entertaining. This site can always use more TRs. I am not a moderator and can't give you any official blessing, but from a user-standpoint I'd say, "Post away!"

I agree with Rad, Josh. Post away, and let us know how far you've come since we last heard from you on here. You are very motivated and willing to learn, as we've heard through the grapevine recently, so there are people here that would like to know what you've been up to of late.

Scrambling, hiking, skiing, slowshoing etc are all worthy of TR's. Some of us like reading them for conditions beta, etc. I could care less if you "climbed" the route, yet gave fantastic approach beta, pictures of a route etc.

After all, isn't that what a TR is for?

Oh I forgot, this is a 'climbing site", so some people need to post TR's to puff out their chests....

Scrambling isn't climbing? That's a pretty crazy statement. I have scrambled up many a peak, does that mean I didn't climb them? A great scramble I think is one of the most enjoyable ways to spend a day outside and can be very condition dependent. If you have a good scramble, please post it. I would argue that a great deal of climbs like the West Ridge of Stuart is scrambling.

alright alright. I've kept my mouth shut but I've gotta chime in. There is obviously some subjectivity in this process. But some dude posting pics and info about his trip up Pilchuck over and over is going to change what CC is about. Ya some climbs are more boring than others (some climbs of Rainier are boring little hikes essentially), but this site is still about climbing. We shouldn't need to define that as it is very intuitive.

alright alright. I've kept my mouth shut but I've gotta chime in. There is obviously some subjectivity in this process. But some dude posting pics and info about his trip up Pilchuck over and over is going to change what CC is about. Ya some climbs are more boring than others (some climbs of Rainier are boring little hikes essentially), but this site is still about climbing. We shouldn't need to define that as it is very intuitive.

Actually, 97.372% of threads on this site are jousting battles of aging idealogues who never get off the couch. Show me some people getting off the bleeping couch and into the mountains and I'll click on it.

but this site is still about climbing. We shouldn't need to define that as it is very intuitive.

Yet you seem to be trying to define climbing as not including scrambles. So again, what is climbing by your definition. Class 4 rock is a scramble and most people I know would consider it a climb. The bugler 100 are chock full of scrambles.

I know you are trying to keep the sight from being watered down, and I'd agree that TR's that have absolutely nothing to do with climbing probably should be left off, but to say that scrambling is not climbing is just crazy to my way of thinking. Unless you define scrambling different than me.

And Mark no one said anything about clipping bolts. It isn't like the options are A. scramble and B. sport climbing. There is ice, alpine, mountaineering.

I know. But this site is primarily devoted to ice, alpine, and mountaineering. I was just making a comparison. I love all forms of climbing. That means scrambling, sport climbing, trad climbing, alpine, ice, etc. I think scramble trip reports are very valuable information, as opposed to "We climbed such-and-such a route at a well-documented wall in good weather. It was exactly the same as when the other 100 people climbed this route last week."

But don't get me wrong. They all have their place here.

-Mark