Good All Purpose Alpine Boot.

RokIzGud

Im im looking for a good all purpose alpine boot for basically walking up the local glaciers and some easy waterfall or alpine ice with possible long approachs. Im looking at La Sportiva because everyone seems to have them but I have heard that Evo GTX wear out esaily? What about Raichle? I think Mammut bought them so how about Mammuts boots? What do you recommended? Thanks!

C.

Edited by RokIzGud

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nepals are awesome! Almost out of the box I put on 15 miles. I have heard great things about that entire line up from Sportiva, i'd get the red ones if you were going to more summer hiking than anything else, silvers for spring/fall and the yellows (Nepals) for year round awesomeness.

I have a old pair of scarpa freneys which have done lots of time on ice and trails and done really well for both. It is the old blue one which is not made anymore. But I would encourage you to check out their line. I never could do lots of miles in my nepal tops but that was because it was sized a bit too small and the shape is a bit off for my feet. Like Dane says, get what fits your feet.

Raichle, Lowa & Garmont may offer better fit if you happen to have a low-volume or narrow foot. Scarpa tends to fit wide or high-volume feet better. Even Vasque is putting out some attractive looking boots these days, although I haven't any personal experience of them since the 1970s... Just try on as many different boots as you can get your hands on, and buy what fits best. Kayland (available at Feathered Friends Seattle store) is also good, although not the best fit for me. My oldest son bought Kayland after trying on virtually every other boot available in Seattle...

Another boot you may consider is the Asolo Expert. It is a little heavier than the La Sportiva, but I have found it just as comfortable and more durable. I still love my Trangos, but this has been a great all-around alpine boot. I also have the Nepals, which I use when it's colder or I need more support for steeper snow/ice...great boots!

I'd throw in Boreal to the mix also. Like folks have already said: fit is everything. All of the boots mentioned are top shelf and I would be reluctant to say a particular brand is the "the best". If it doesn't fit your foot you'll find out sooner than later it's actually "the worst".

Spend an afternoon and try a bunch on. Some will simply not fit, a bunch will kinda fit, but one or two will call your name.