Lame weight reduction suggestion

archenemy

So after my injury (the ref to "lame" in the subject) and the subsequent weight gain, I was at a loss on how to loose more weight than I have ever had to (by a friggen magnitude) while still not being fully mobile;a Here is what has happened so far:

I've lost more than 10% of my body weight in two months by following weight watchers guidelines. I track points, measure everything, eat enough veggies to shit green. I track the points I expend for my workouts. I negotiate the flex points throughout the week to be sure I have a day I can pig out or get wasted. Needless to say, I don't go to meetings or ask for support from the wonderful ladies who have discovered that by doing toe lifts while at the copy machine they can burn extra calories. They certainly have their road to walk, but I think it is a different direction that a climber would walk.

However, buying all the initial information from them was a great investment. Not the meetings though...

That is all good for other folk, but I need to be ready to climb again and don't find a lot of common ground between the copy room and Jack's Pass. The meetings I attended were more on motivating the group toward specific goals besides "not be fat". Cool, but I need more than that. And I bet I am not the only one.

And I am just sayin that tracking what you eat keeps you honest. When you know you have gone too far off into the weeds and need to come back to real calorie land, it helps to know where you should be versus where you were. It motivates the workout times and intensities as well. Gives you slack for those days you need it.

So, just throwing this out there to anyone facing weight frustration after an injury. PM me if you want to chat, share, encourage, add, discourage, warn away, cheerlead for. It would be nice to have a thread or two in the fitness forum that discusses the most current challenges members have face and how they are working to regrain reachable levels of fitness or ability after being faced with an unexpected limitation.

Get healthy!

A

and feel free to pm me directly if you are not ready to post. I will never post anything without your permission.

Let's just see where this goes.

Edited by archenemy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you. My dad lost 150 lbs by simply eatting less crappy foods and exercising lightly, but regularly.

This isn't from my dad's diet, but he did do some of the suggestions I've listed below.

Here are some tips

1. Eat your carbs in the morning

2. Try and only eat a small amount of carbs for lunch

3. No carbs for dinner

4. Healthy oils are good for you - don't avoid ALL fats

5. Eat whatever you want 1 day a week

6. Stop eating just before you get full

7. Exercise every day. Don't go hard core or you will quit.

8. Only eat real food.

9. Avoid alchohol at all costs.

for me, it was pretty easy to drop about 6 lbs to 172 (stop eating a pint of ben and jerries every other day!), but tough after that. dropped to 168 briefly, and i suppose once pressing goals are on the horizon then i'll get more motivated again.

i read somewhere that most diet "programs" have about the same efficacy, but a key component was to keep a diary and record everything you eat. people who did that did much better.

Thanks for posting this, Archie! Congrats on the weight loss. Sounds like Weight Watchers has really worked for you. I've heard the one day splurge really helps, too. I have a little notebook I keep in my purse. I will start tracking what I eat. My former Crossfit trainer was big into doing that. I've been looking at the No S diet because it sounds simple enough to do without having to fix myself something totally different from the family.

I'm finally feeling well enough after surgery last month to try to get back into some semblance of shape. Every time I take my three to Crossfit Kids I feel like such a sloth, but I know Crossfit would kick my sorry ass as would pulling plastic right now. I keep telling myself baby steps, but it's a little depressing.

This week I'm hoping to give skiing a try. First time since my accident in May. Cruiser runs with my six year old should make for a nice, easy time though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Archie,

I'm kind of a n00b here ( <-- see, it says it just over there to the left!) so I'm not familiar with the extent of your injuries. If you're physically capable, is some form of water aerobics a possibility? Zero impact, flotation benefits, warm water, usually has hot aerobics instructors :grin:, etc. I know a number of people who have used it as therapy and/or to recover after injuries.

Regarding diet: My personal philosophy is called "the caveman diet" - if it didn't exist 4,000 years ago, I try to not to eat it.

This basically means lots of fresh fish and chicken (always grilled, olive oil instead of butter, etc), occasional beef, fresh fruits and veggies, only whole grains (i.e. true whole grain bread, the crumbly, thick, doesn't-last 24-hours-outside-of-a-fridge because-it-has-absolutely-no-preservatives-bread). Snacks are nuts and raisins. Of course I don't stick to this 100% or I'd go out of my mind, but it's a very good guideline. Make sure your portion size is appropriate for your daily caloric expenditures and you'll be fine.