Hilleberg Rad vs Wal-Mart

johndavidjr

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Jardine describes spending a number of seasons camping mostly at or above treeline with neophytes in Colorado, using builders' plastic in lieu of tents.....two or three decades ago.

(For the historically challenged, please do look up Jardine's record).

Today, many (sadly not most) people are over-paid (or wish desperately that they were) and have an increasingly unhealthy fascination with boutique camping equipment as a means of signalling manliness and bravery.

They'll tell you that camping at tree line in Cascades in Summer is act of death defying bravery that can only be accomplished by spending thousands of dollars.........

They feel that those who drive a Ford rather than a Lexus are less manly or intelligent.

This defines cretinism.

Er.. Mountaineering tents certainly have their place, but speaking realistically, they are mainly used by the uniformed (more money than brains) for circumstances where building plastic would suffice.

Of course, the Hillieberg Rajd is not a mountaineering tent.

nobody said that...they only said YOU were less manly or intelligent...

BTW: WHo is Jardine???? :lmao: Oh, right, the owner of GoLite...

My long-gone parents bought me an REI tent with cotton canopy and coated nylon floor. It was yellow.

It had an "A-Frame" in front and the much lower and narrower back had a single pole.

Something like this is pictured in foreground of a photograph of Mount Fury in 60s and 70s editions of a well-known how-to book....It somewhat resembles a Wenzel Starlite. (But I think it may have cost $35, rather than $20.)

I replaced this in 1973 with an REI tarp and used this exclusively for six or seven years (including limited ski-touring and several weeks in BC, Washington and a month in Europe and Iceland).

Acquired K-mart pup-tent & used this extensively for another 8-9 years. Don't use something like this in the off season....

You lucky bastard, you! I can't believe you didn't get whacked with that gear! :rolleyes:

My main current tent, Golite Hex, I acquired after my best friend, the great Northwest climber, fish wrangler and cow poke, Ben Dover, died of AIDS.....He'd put y'all to shame.

I feel much safer around here with a tent like that. It's probably the "severe alpine conditions" that make some of you "men" so desperate.

BTW it's not "Wal-Mart vs Hilleberg," but "Rajd vs Starlight."

My main current tent, Golite Hex, I acquired after my best friend, the great Northwest climber, fish wrangler and cow poke, Ben Dover, died of AIDS.....He'd put y'all to shame.

I feel much safer around here with a tent like that. It's probably the "severe alpine conditions" that make some of you "men" so desperate.

BTW it's not "Wal-Mart vs Hilleberg," but "Rajd vs Starlight."

FOAD you poser

"'I wolde I had thy coillons in myn hond

In stide of relikes or of seintuarie.

Lat kutte hem of, I wold thee help hem carie;

They shul be shryned in an hogges toord!'"

"Thou accursed toad-spotted whore-master!"

"Thou beslubbering fat-kidneyed infection!"

"What shall I call thee when thou art a man ? "

Putting aside question of aimless insults in English, classic or cretin, nobody's posted relevant information comparing Rajd to Starlight.

Idea is, simply, that you can purchase marginal "tents" or shelters, that are functionally equal, for a very high or a very low price.

Remarkably contentious point for a few, seriously challenged people.

Putting aside question of aimless insults in English, classic or cretin, nobody's posted relevant information comparing Rajd to Starlight.

Idea is, simply, that you can purchase marginal "tents" or shelters, that are functionally equal, for a very high or a very low price.

Remarkably contentious point for a few, seriously challenged people.

perhaps you should have posted in "the gear critic" forum instead of spray, then, huh?