Half-Off Sale at Greenlake....

JayB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wonder what number you'd get if you took the total energy required to the tear down the old homes and build the new ones, and divided that by difference between the annual average energy consumption of the old and new homes.

If those pads aren't your style, perhaps I can interest you in a nearby condo?

Given that it's straightforward to upgrade an old home with energy efficient windows, insulation, and appliance, and that old homes last 3 to 5 times longer than new ones due to vastly superior materials (as any builder will tell you), I'd say that would not be a very good idea.

Then there's history, asthetics. destruction of topsoil, gardens, trees. Ah, the things that cannot be readily quantified, which is most things that really matter.

...old homes last 3 to 5 times longer than new ones due to vastly superior materials (as any builder will tell you)...

Generally, the superior quality of older homes is due to superior construction practices, not a difference in materials.

Tell it to the people got black shit coming out of their face like the goddamn X-Files from breathing Chinese drywall.

...old homes last 3 to 5 times longer than new ones due to vastly superior materials (as any builder will tell you)...

Generally, the superior quality of older homes is due to superior construction practices, not a difference in materials.

Tell it to the people got black shit coming out of their face like the goddamn X-Files from breathing Chinese drywall.

Generally, "black shit coming out of" people's faces is due to a faulty piehole closing mechanism, not Chinese gypsum board.

Generally, "black shit coming out of" people's faces is due to a faulty piehole closing mechanism, not Chinese gypsum board.

Or was that the formaldehyde trailers?

I have to wonder what number you'd get if you took the total energy required to the tear down the old homes and build the new ones, and divided that by difference between the annual average energy consumption of the old and new homes.

If those pads aren't your style, perhaps I can interest you in a nearby condo?

Given that it's straightforward to upgrade an old home with energy efficient windows, insulation, and appliance, and that old homes last 3 to 5 times longer than new ones due to vastly superior materials (as any builder will tell you), I'd say that would not be a very good idea.

Then there's history, asthetics. destruction of topsoil, gardens, trees. Ah, the things that cannot be readily quantified, which is most things that really matter.

What wouldn't be a very good idea?

so jay, are you investing? or do you think there will be a fire sale next year?

For the forseeable future it looks like I'll be investing in auto repairs, a couple of season passes, and trying to rebuild the rainy day fund. Whatever's left-over after that I put into FFNOX in a Roth. Only investment I have other than a couple of money-market accounts.

Only change I'll make as the years go by will be to increase the allocation into a diversified bond-index fund with a low expense ratio. I have no idea how any of the above will perform in the future, but I'm comfortable with the asset-allocation/risk, and the management fees.

IMO in the near term home-price movements on the low end will depend on how much more money the government wants to put at risk in an effort to put a floor under housing. Once that's over, I don't see any significant relief from downside pressures in any market segment until the price/wage, rent/mortgage metrics return to a point that's at or below the historical range.

BTW - making the right call vis-a-vis the market is much less important than making the right call vis-a-vis your own financial situation IMO.

I don't want anything to do with a mortgage until I've got 20% of the purchase price set aside in savings, on top of cash equal to at least six-months worth of living expenses, and have a monthly payment that's no more than 30% of the monthly take-home - but I suspect that I'm more risk averse than most and will consequently wait quite a bit longer to purchase than most folks. Still years away from being in a position where I'd be comfortable buying.

Probably true for cash-flow investors with deep pockets and lots of patience in certain markets. At least prior to Congress rolling out the $8,000 credit.

Worth noting that the actual cost per each additional sale realized under that program is something like $43,000.