How to book - for beginning trad rock

neswstar

I was so impressed by the top 10 reading list I thought I would ask for help on selecting text for a Trad/Alpine rock class I am helping with.

Yes of course Freedom of the Hills and John Long's newer anchor book. But what about something that covers generally - something that could be used as a text book. What book would you tell your newest climbing partners - the one that can top rope or maybe even clean - but wants to learn to lead?.....

(appreciate all feed back)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an old copy of Royal Robbins' Advanced Rockcraft (circa 1973.) IMO, the illustrations that relate to leading are particularly good. They point out a lot about orientation of pull that aren't that well illustrated in more current books on the topic.

I had read all of John Long's book during my first year of rockclimbing. When I was ready to get serious about trad leading, in particular, Rob recommended I read "Traditional Lead Climbing", by Heidi Pesterfield. I did, and I owe Rob big for the great advice. :kisss:

Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills by Craig Luebben

Yes.. good read IMO

Spend one day with an AMGA certified guide and it is worth more than a dozen books. Then climb on safely.

No.. don't waste your duckits

I'd say don't worry about reading books - just go climbing!

Bump!

Find a few good mentors…. Get out by yourself fix a line and practice mach free and aid climbing!

Spend one day with an AMGA certified guide

... if you can afford the $$$. Otherwise post on the climbing partners board and find someone who has it together enough and wants to take on the task of instructing a climber new to placing gear. A guide is the best idea, but since not all of us can afford it teaming up with an experienced partner is the next best thing. Plus, its great for the person you team up with, too - teaching another makes one learn it that much better! :wave:

Thank you for all the great suggessions. Funny hiring a guide should be mentioned. I just spend 3 in a AMGA course, and hope to bring some of that education with me to the class I am helping with.

That class, covers more than a day with a guide could as it an 8 week class (field sessions/lectures). I beleive people learn in different ways - one of which is reading and looking at the pretty pictures. I like having text books to refer to. they can also provide a second opinion. This has helped me with my climbing to understand what is safe and what is not.

Do not have "Alpine Climbing" Houston/Cosley - so will definately check it out. Have Pesterfield and Craig Luebben books, like them both.

Thank you all for the additional input.!!!