North Cascades Glaciers by Size

Steph_Abegg

In 1971, Austin Post et al published a USGS paper "Inventory of Glaciers in the North Cascades", listing the largest glaciers that were at the time 1 sq. km. or larger. I had some fun putting together a map of these glaciers, posted below. I'd sure be interesting if someone did a new inventory to see how much these glaciers have shrunk in the last 38 yrs.

ncnpGLACIERScrop_white_nomap1.jpg

Link to larger version

-Steph

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like there is an ongoing study of four glaciers in the North Cascades:

Noisy Glacier on Bacon Peak, Silver Glacier on Mount Spickard, North Klawatti Glacier on Primus Peak, and Sandalee Glacier on McGregor Mountain.

Figure_16.jpg

(m w.e. = meters of water equivalent, i.e. volume)

One more link you may find interesting - a summary of surveys of several glaciers from the 1940's to the 1990's: (PDF)

Um...the Craggies Glacier is missing.

I wonder if Google Earth might be able to provide an updated estimate of area for some of these glaciers, at least the ones in areas covered by higher rez (summer season) photos. Import pics from Google Earth (which are current to within 2 or three years as I recall) to any drawing program that can calculate square area, trace around the glacier, taking scale into account, and there you have it. An afternoon's work. Given the massive ongoing recessions, the differences in size between 71 and today should be huge.