Index-cracks vs face

eric8

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or a more detailed brake down

I can't think of any that feel bad at 10d which is where index sport routes seem to start...but at 11a

p1 kite flying blind, accidental discharge, and/or newest industry vs short bat skins, julies roof,

11b heironymous bosch, dana arch versus marginal karma, death to zeke

11c wham versus japenese gardens or shirley

11d little jupiter versus iron horse

maybe I'm just a bad face climber

Eric, I think Julie's roof is harder than KFB pitch one, but maybe the overall reason for your theory is that you have a lot of upper body strength and can crank on steep cracks or finger locks, whereas the face climbing might require more precise feet, crazy high-steps, or tech savyness.

I think that as we enter the next couple of decades, the face climbing of today and tomorrow at index will really be recognized for how unique and cool it is (if enough people climb it to keep the moss away- which isn't the case today)- Even though "slab" climbing isn't cool these days. Most other granite areas, don't have the micro features to allow pure face climbing at the steeper angles.

As for the crack routes at index, the harder crack routes at index just tend to be pinkie jams in pin scars or older quarried flake lieback problems or exfoliated flakes. When we coined the phrase "splitter" a number of years ago, it mean't staight in cracks which index virtual has none of. The index cracks are mostly behind flakes at either the micro or macro level. The term "splitter" has been bastardized badly in the last 10 years or so.

Index face climbing is special cause it's a mix , IMO, between fiction and technical face. For a lot of people who've climbed at Index, you'll recall that on the harder cracks, the crux sections are more face cruxes versus cracks i.e Jap Gardens and Iron Horse, Natural Log Cabin, TPMV.

Like most climbing, it depends what your used to. As for grades, they are on par with the cracks. They are just not the same style as 38, 32 or Smith. It's it's own special style. Just like overhanging limestone is it's special style. I know climbers that can't climb a 5.9 slab that put down 5.14. It's all about what your used to and what know how to climb. I've had to learn how to climb roofs and tufas here, but anything that involves friction, cracks or technical face climbing comes naturally.

I don't disagree that the harder cracks have face sections but my point was that these feel easier than there sport equivalents. I haven't led it but 24 hour bucanneer is basically a traditional face climb and compare that to just about any 11b sport route.

Anyway I suspect that a. I am a little worst at slabby face climbing b. there is some variation in the grades after all some route like leave my face alone, hairway to stephen, the route to the right of stud farm whose name escapes me don't feel to bad...

but supposing that a. I am worse at slabby face climbing, anyone have any tricks to improving this if I can only get out to index once a week when the weather is nice. UW rock? hangboard? yoga? etc.

but supposing that a. I am worse at slabby face climbing, anyone have any tricks to improving this if I can only get out to index once a week when the weather is nice. UW rock? hangboard? yoga? etc.

Other than just getting more milage on the specified climbs, go climb some long slab routes at Static Point or Darrington. The hyper-awareness of friction and subtle features has really allowed me to push myself on the face routes at Index.