L-Glutamine???

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using protein supps for awhile and it will defenitly help you proformance for gaining muscle. I get the bags at Cosco which has whey, soy and casein protein. I dont know how much it costs but its not the most expensive or the cheapest. The number one protain supp or gaining muscle is whey. Just about all pro athletes use at least protain supps with whey being th most common. I work out with a former Colorado State Body Buliding champ and he thinks whey protain and BCAs are the most important supps out there... And safest. Some protain supps may have other stuff added to it that would make it more expensive. I wouldnt go for the cheapest brand out there. It sort of depends on your goals and what you do.

My question was based on Mike's comment that the body breaks all protein down to base components then creates whatever it needs. So you can get whey concentrate and isolate or soy or egg or milk casein or on and on. But does the content really matter?

I got that costco bag with a mix of whey iso, soy iso and something else and it tastes pretty good. At only about $35/ big 5lb bag, it is a bargain too. But i have been trying to steer clear of soy due to it's possible estrogenetic effects.

Is they extra $10 for a high quality bag of protien worth it?

I've used L-glutamine for ten years or so, as an aid in resolving DOMS ("delayed onset muscle soreness"). I began after referring to some studies indicating its effectiveness for that. I don't use it all that regularly, usually only after an unusually heavy workout. My wife, a "retired" mountain bike racer and still a fairly formidable cyclist, tried using it after long hard rides, and now swears by it, which may not mean anything if it weren't for the fact that as a physician's daughter, she poo-poos the whole supplement concept as a matter of principle. She only tried it at my suggestion that it might be better than the quantity of ibupofen she was consuming. For me, a teaspoonful in about sixteen ounces of water or diluted fruit juice within an hour of an uberworkout seems to make a big difference in how I feel forty-eight hours later. Google it and read some studies if you haven't already done so. If you decide to try it, I've found Optimum Nutrition's version a cost-effective solution, purchased through Bodybuilding.com.

Yes content does matter.

Just about everything has proteins in it, but the human body uses specific groups of amino acids that are not present in every food. Things such as whey protein, eggs, cheese, and meat have highly similar amino acid contents to the ones our body needs/uses. You can eat all the soy beans you want, but your body won't use alot of the protein content in it. Also, if you aren't being very active you get plenty of protein from a normal diet, but if you are climbing, running, lifting or skiing just about every day, your body needs more to rebuild ripped up muscles. Go with high quaity protein, but it won't do shit if you don't put in the work.

So you can get whey concentrate and isolate or soy or egg or milk casein or on and on. But does the content really matter?

whey vs soy: tip of the iceberg

Make sure you reread the part about protein to carb ratios... if you dont get those right you're either just shitting it out or during your activity doing more harm than good.

but it what mike says is true, then as long as a complete essential amino acid profile is present in adequate amounts, then why pay the extra money for "superior" protien source. The bio availability just means you gotta consume a little extra of the less good stuff to get the same amount of protein.

My thinking was mainly geared towards the whey concentrate vs whey isolate products.

I have read some disturbing things against soy being estrogenetic (warrior diet) so it makes sense to steer clear of that. Maybe for that rare (extremely rare) day I am pulling a twight alpine assault,(like the mighty tooth!) I would be concerned about using soy as a fuel source to mitigate muscle canabalism.

• 4 weeks later...