dumbass bureaucrat at the dump

Gary_Yngve

I was off to a good start when some younger city workers up front cheered when I showed up on my bike with a backpack full of stuff.

Then I went to the entrance with the weigh station and met the quintessential bureaucrat.

Apparently he have never seen anyone show up to the dump before on a bicycle.

I was there to recycle a steel garbage can (free) and some wood (about 75% of which was reusable).

The dude wanted to charge me $15, the price for bringing any amount of junk in a sedan.

I explained to him that the sign says specifically cars, not bicycles, and he told me to take it up w/ city council. I then pointed out that I could put my backpack (had all the recyclables in it or attached to it) in the next car that showed up, and it would still be the same price. He then said the extra weight could change the cost (if it were a pickup truck), and I was like, "Dude, I'm carrying it on my back. How much can it weigh?"

He still tried to hustle me for $15, and I was like, look, if you don't let me recycle this wood, I'm gonna go to the beach and burn it. Isn't the city trying to reduce carbon emissions?

Finally he relented. It should have not been that hard.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go easy on him, Gary. He's a disenfranchised sanitation engineer, unable to accept or deal with changes to his daily regimen, or change at all, for that matter. And the blistering logic of your argument left him totally defenseless and unable to respond cogently. Pity him, for he knows not that he's a dump dumbass... :)

I once walked up to the drive-thru window of an espresso shop to get a shot of caffeine. Freaked out the girls inside. After they calmed down, they told me they thought I came up to rob them. I said, "If I had wanted to rob you, would it not be more effective for me to be inside the store, since you can just leave the window if you don't want to give me your money?"

Seems they'd been robbed at least once before, and they had just handed the thief the money through the window, after having left the window to get the money from the cash register... :rolleyes:

Lots of dumbasses have trouble dealing with people on bikes

That's because lots of people on bikes are dipshits. "Look! I'm on a bike! I'm riding a bike and your not!" Get over yourselves, you look like fools.

Gary: It sounds like you got out of paying your fair share on a bullshit technicality and idiotic logic. If so, you stole, thief. Way to pull one over on the guy working at the dump. You're a douche bag.

Edited by Choada_Boy

Gary: It sounds like you got out of paying your fair share on a bullshit technicality and idiotic logic. If so, you stole, thief. Way to pull one over on the guy working at the dump. You're a douche bag.

It would appear that Choada Boy is an adherent of ZT policy. Good for you for allowing the dumpmaster some level of discretion on the enforcement of the $15 policy. :rolleyes:

Let me ask you one question: Do you partake of illegal drugs, in any manner, form, or quantity? For if you do, you may want to rethink your position, as you be a hypocrite.

By your above comment, at the very least, you're a tool.

I share Gary's consternation, specifically regarding what is clearly a classic case of ZT. While trying to take a load of yard waste to my local transfer station (where dumping is free for city residents, BTW), I was told that I needed proof of being a resident of Kennewick. The conversation went something like this:

Dump Woman: "Do you have a driver's license?"

Me: "Yes I do." (produced WDL)

DW: "That's no good."

Me: "Why not?"

DW: "Because it has a Yakima address on it. We need to see a Kennewick address."

Me: "Well, I changed my address online when I moved to Kennewick. The DOL doesn't require me to get a new license until this one expires next year."

DW: "Well, that doesn't work for us."

Me: "So, Waste Management has a higher burden of proof of my residency than the DOL, local law enforcement, and the State Patrol?"

DW: "We tell people that you can put a stickie on the back of your license with your local address on it. Or you could bring in your Waste Management bill - that would work."

Me: "I don't get a bill because I have the bill deducted automatically from my checking account... Hey, I have my checkbook on me! My checks have my Kennewick address on them."

DW: "No, we'd need to see a bill."

Me: "Well then, do you have a stickie I could use to put on my license now?"

DW: "No."

Me: "So I have to get out of the line that I've waited through for 45 minutes, go home, make a stickie, put it on my license, come back here, wait through the line until you see me again, and then you'll let me through?"

DW: "Yes."

Me: "Doesn't that seem just a tad bit ridiculous, seeing as how you would have no further proof of my residency than what you have right now?"

DW: "No, you would have the stickie on the back with your current address on it."

Me: ( :rolleyes: becoming frustrated) "How about this: I have my voter registration card in my wallet right here. It has my Kennewick address..."

DW: "No, I'd need a picture ID."

Me: "Well, if I had a Waste Management bill, would that have a picture ID on it?"

DW: "No."

Me: "Are you beginning to see how ridiculous this conversation is...?"

After another minute or so of this nonsense, it was made abundantly clear to me that I would not be allowed to dump my yard waste that day... :anger:

My fair share? Excuse me? If I wanted to just get rid of the stuff, I would have tossed it in the dumpster behind my apartment. I made the extra effort to get the stuff recycled properly, and I have to put up with a whole bunch of crap.

Don't get me started on fees for electronics.. the fees should come on the sticker price, and it should be FREE to recycle later. Making people pay to recycle, which encourages them to illegally dump and get away with it, is retarded.

My fair share? Excuse me? If I wanted to just get rid of the stuff, I would have tossed it in the dumpster behind my apartment. I made the extra effort to get the stuff recycled properly, and I have to put up with a whole bunch of crap.

So what you are sayin' is that because you where on a bike you should not have to pay like the rest of us? If you where in your car, would you still have refused to pay as well?

I don't get why some people think that just because they are riding a bike, they are not to be held up to the same standards as the rest of us are. Like stopping at stops signs, and in your case, paying the dump fee.