Chair Pk, 1st Oompa loompa ascent

tvashtarkatena

TR: Chair Peak NE Buttress, Jan 27, 2009

3235601456_80756a3c30_o.jpg

3234662009_323d116daf.jpg

Separated at birth? Don on station in the ready position.

Nothing brings out your eloquent side like having your brain frozen through your eye sockets by high velocity spindrift.

After a beautiful weekend and its attending flurry of trip reports, Don and I beat the crowds, ex post facto, by following their many divots up Chair Peak’s NE buttress.

Unfortunately for us, the forecasted storm arrived 12 hours earlier than expected. Despite heavy snowfall at the parking lot, we decided to have a romp anyway, given the friendly avalanche conditions.

Source Lake was buried under the wreckage of the basin’s former snow pack, courtesy of ‘The Weather Event’.

On the approach we were surprised to encounter two other pilgrims who apparently didn’t get the weather memo either.

After pitching the first gulley and its accompanying spindrift induced brain-freeze headache, we simulclimbed the remainder of the route without incident. The snow and ice conditions were still as good as the weather was not.

The summit, with its frequent spindrift blasts, afforded an opportunity to finally exfoliate my face, something I’ve been meaning to do for a while now. I down climbed most of the way with my eyes shut to avoid pitting my corneas. Unfortunately, my fogged, then frozen goggles were at that point worthless.

3235511180_4c89fc3f0b.jpg

Enjoying a nice sandblasting on the summit

The rap gulley, its flutings awash in spindrift, resembled something out of the Andes. I managed to loose a 6” deposition slab on the way down which scoured the remainder of the descent nicely.

3235511012_cdeb9e5ae4.jpg

Rapping down the spindrift hose

3234661951_14d8b8cf53.jpg

Filling the pack with snow for the trip down

All in all, an interesting immersion into conditions one normally doesn’t experience if one has any foresight or brains.

[video:youtube]Au3G_a5h4NE

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic