Bruce Springsteen

kevbone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty much all good, Kevbone. At first, I never really liked his stuff because it was too "pop" for my taste and I thought I was more sophisticated than that but eventually I took the stick out of my you know what and realized that my narrow taste focusing largely on blues and jazz was a bit snobby. Springsteen really hit the note in a certain way and, while maybe not as exciting as some others from the same time frame, he was (is) iconic and broadly appealing in a way that the Talking Heads or Led Zeppelin or [insert your favorite rock band that released hit albums in the 1970's and 1980's] didn't quite match.

It's pretty much all good, Kevbone. At first, I never really liked his stuff because it was too "pop" for my taste and I thought I was more sophisticated than that but eventually I took the stick out of my you know what and realized that my narrow taste focusing largely on blues and jazz was a bit snobby. Springsteen really hit the note in a certain way and, while maybe not as exciting as some others from the same time frame, he was (is) iconic and broadly appealing in a way that the Talking Heads or Led Zeppelin or [insert your favorite rock band that released hit albums in the 1970's and 1980's] didn't quite match.

Nice description Matt. I always have thought that the Boss has sold over 120 million records due to his "image" more than his talent. He is the American workers musician, the blue collar guy that loves baseball. Too bad when you get down to it....he is not that good of a singer.

then post about your climbing

I am a new two time dad. Climbing has taken a backseat to parenting at the moment. I am reduced to music spray.

tuck your kids in bed, drive to Hood, summit at dawn, back to car before noon, home in time to play with kids, eat dinner. :wave:

Why would I give up sleep just to go hiking?

then post about your climbing

I am a new two time dad. Climbing has taken a backseat to parenting at the moment. I am reduced to music spray.

tuck your kids in bed, drive to Hood, summit at dawn, back to car before noon, home in time to play with kids, eat dinner. :wave:

Why would I give up sleep just to go hiking?

pick a more technical route, boner

Why does his music suck so much?

There's no accounting for taste. Nor for the lack of it...

I have all of the albums Bruce released (on LP, no less) up through and including the Born in the USA tour (1984??). After that, I sorta lost interest in the Boss, even after seeing him in concert at the Astrodome for 1980's The River tour (excellent show, BTW). While I occasionally catch something more recent of his on the radio, and listen to it, I'm just not as impressed with his music as I was 30-odd years ago.

That being said, I sometimes pull out the old cassette tapes made from those early LPs and rock out like a headbanger while I'm blasting down a dark highway.

:rocken:

So, maybe the better question would be, why do so many people like Bruces music? I think his music is old and boring.

I liked The River because it told an American story in words and music. Almost a kind of rock-opera like 'Tommy' or 'The Wall'. The rest of his stuff just sucks. Also, I didn't like the way he tied himself to Roy Orbison in that kind of "Look at me! I'm jammin with Roy Orbison!" way. That B/W video just annoys the shit out of me. Springsteen looks like he truly believed it was all about him, but he was the least of the actors there.

Edited by Fairweather

but...then again, you voted for bush in 2004 and mcsame in 2008 so your opinion is worth about half a shit...

But, then again, you can't do much of anything right now--like climb or ski--so maybe you should post your opinions on couchjockeys.com and open up another bag of 'dem Lay's potato chips.