WTF! Can my company do this?

E-rock

And if you don't know the answer, shut up and let the grown-ups speak, Kevbone.

Following the audit of our worker’s compensation insurance program, the auditor has documented certain areas of improvement in the current program. One such item is the periodic review of driving records for all employees (both technical and administrative staff). In order to comply with the auditor’s recommendation, we are requesting all employees (technical and support staff) to provide us with a copy of their driving record no later than February 27, 2009.

You have two options for providing the company with your driving record:

1) Contact your local DMV (should be able to request your driving record online). Any fees ($5-$10) associated with this transaction will be reimbursed by the company. Please be sure to submit an expense reimbursement to accounting.

2) Complete the attached disclosure form and return to name deleted no later than February 6, 2009. We will then request deleted to obtain the driving records for us for a $12 charge per person.

Note for California employees:

Option 2 is not available for CA employees and you MUST contact your local DMV to obtain the driving record and forward to name deleted in Human Resources.

Edited by E-rock

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly the forum to get a decent answer on this one.

www.aclu.org

No guarantees that there will be any information regarding this in particular, but it's a good place to start. I don't know whether such a program violates any of the ACLU's privacy policies, or if there has been case law supporting such a practice.

If not, you may wish to contact them and file a report. They may decline for the above reasons, or due to resource constraints. Still, corporations are court averse; on occasion, a letter from the ACLU expressing concern is enough to shut such a program down.

I know the ACLU has gone to court to protect employees from being fired for smoking (tobacco) outside the workplace. Not the same issue, exactly, but similar.

Good luck.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

It is likely a tool they use to asses the overall risk employees pose. Kind of like when they check your credit report. Your credit report has nothing to do with your job but it gives the company insight of the person they are considering. I guess I should just STFU though cause I don't really know for sure, just a hunch.

I couldn't find anything directly related to this particular issue on aclu.org. There is a federal law protecting your personal driving record information from being shared without your consent.

If you feel strongly enough about it, I would contact your state office and discuss if there is a legal basis for protecting your driving record.

Two things to consider:

Jobs involving driving probably require employees to submit such information.

I'm not sure how public driving records are treated; they may be similar or the same as criminal records.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Anyone who pays the requierd fee (I think its like $15) can obtain the driving record of anyone they like in Oregon. At one time the entire DMV database was available online. I realize you are in WA and this doesn't apply.

If your job doesn't include driving I am not sure how they can require that you provide/comply with their "request." I'd sign the form and make them get it themselves though.

Anyone who pays the requierd fee (I think its like $15) can obtain the driving record of anyone they like in Oregon. At one time the entire DMV database was available online. I realize you are in WA and this doesn't apply.

If your job doesn't include driving I am not sure how they can require that you provide/comply with their "request." I'd sign the form and make them get it themselves though.

A 1999 federal law now protects personal information used in DMV records. It was passed after a California sold the DMV records to private corporations. A stalker then obtained the address of a woman whom he later murdered. Authorized users (insurers, for example) may access that information.

You might just say "I'm not comfortable with this for privacy reasons" and they may or may not just move on to the next victim.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

E-rock is not in WA, OR, or CA

They may have already run credit checks on employees since they have your social security number and I don't know that you have to give specific permission.

If he is in the US he has to give specific permission to have his credit checked.

FYI

HR and management got a backlash of pissed-off emails from grown men and women holding post-graduate degrees and decided to "review" the need for this action. In the mean time we've been ordered NOT to send our information to HR.

Typical, you just sat and bitched while adults took care of things

It's standard practice to do background checks on new hires, partially to protect the company should the employee go postal and victims sue. Regarding this thing, you'll need to see what you signed away when you join, and go from there.

The way they worded it at first seemed a sleazy way to implicitly get your consent.

It's standard practice to do background checks on new hires, partially to protect the company should the employee go postal and victims sue. Regarding this thing, you'll need to see what you signed away when you join, and go from there.

The way they worded it at first seemed a sleazy way to implicitly get your consent.

gary, some chick is selling her virginity online.

you should go for it too. it could help pay off your student loans.