Avalanches destroying all sorts of fun stuff

TRbetaFlash

Literally, there is no way out of Western WA right now. Well, unless you want to go get rained on more in BC..

Today would be an ideal day for a few laps at vertical world.

Excelsior mountain has snapped twice in the last 48 hours, blocking hwy-542 to Baker. There's another slide up by Galena creek. Anyone see how big that deposition was when it slid a couple years back?

The scummit is closed. An avalanche at Hyak took out some lift towers and a structure here or there. 4ft deep, 200ft wide. PICS!

http://www.nwac.us/photos/current/

hwy-20 is blocked in Concrete due to a mudslide.

We're not able to go south through Lewis County on I-5 due to water on the roadway. When are they going to build a bridge over those hobbits down there?

Stevens is closed simply due to the threat of avalanches.

This is reason enough to add another step to my pre-alpine assault checklist. Go check twitter. =)

Closures by county

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/Update/countynavigation.htm

a WSDOT badass on twitter

http://twitter.com/Terpening

NWAC avy report

http://www.nwac.us/products/SABSEA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally, there is no way out of Western WA right now. Well, unless you want to go get rained on more in BC..

Hwy 3 and 5 are both closed past Hope due to slides and avalanches. Hwy 1 or 99 are only ways out of Lower Mainland to "rest of Canada" at the moment.

Hwy 1 also closed Sicamous to Revelstoke, Revy to Golden and Golden to Yoho! Plus many small closures thru the Kootenays.

If trying to escape WA at the moment best choice is Hwy 99 to Cache Cr via Whistler & Duffy Lake, then Hwy 5 to Valemount and on to Jasper.

Right now your stuck with either work, home projects, or urban hiking. You might make the news if you went kayaking. ;)

if you live in pdx-area though you can avail yourself of the 3 short weeks left to climb at beacon rock before the birdies get it fir humping all winter/spring! sounds like it should be sunny this weekend too! :fahq:

look out though, i'm planning on kicking off a few giant boulders on saturday :)

If you believe ski area reports Baker, Crystal, and Stevens will be open tomorrow. White Pass isn't saying anything about opening.

Right now your stuck with either work, home projects, or urban hiking. You might make the news if you went kayaking. ;)

Went to the Powerhouse several years ago during a flood like this. The ride was quick and nerve wracking. BIG water.

At the bottom where it curves left, I was trying to avoid being scraped over the rocks and stayed middle right. About 50 ft ahead of me a 5 ft diameter hole opened up into a whirlpool. I paddled frantically and managed to avoid it. As I passed by it, the thing slapped shut and dissappeared. From an eddy below, I waved to Jan to cut river left which he ignored. The hole opened up right in front of him and he dove straight down and dissappeared from view. I was quite worried knowing that the rock below is like a giant cheese grater. He popped up about 30 yards downstream and was totally unhurt.

Somebody posted a wsdot link above, but here's some more for the lazy surfers:

wsdot's "Storm Jan 2009" flikr page

Mudslides on SR 20

HWY 530:

3182799486_4f8de740e2.jpg

Hwy 20

3181052034_63fda1948c.jpg

I like the guardrail...

White Pass

3177487183_c2155d9738.jpg

"Yeah, your gun'a need to turn all those semis around and..."

Hwy 542