Topropable ice around Seattle?

Braydon

This is probably a better place for this post...

Hey guys I looking to take advantage of this cold spell and take my brother ice climbing while he and the ice is still here. Can you toprope the ice at Exit 38 at the Black ice area? If not, where would be a good destination for us? Thanks guys!

Oh btw, i've heard rumors that if you get a good cold snap, that the haystack on si can be a fun, easy mixed climb...anyone know if it would be in now? I've also heard of routes on the north side of Mclellan's butte and Kent...any info on those would be appreciated as well.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Black Ice. CYA - I am not sure, but you can most likely get around to the top of that by climbing up very steeply through trees along the right side? I've never actually climbed the route, as it's only been in once or twice that I am aware of, ever. AlpineDave and CascadeClimber said there was a ton of gear at the top to rap from. I am not sure your brother would have much fun at the Black Ice ice, as CYA has a difficult mixed start, and the other route has an unsavory approach through steep snow covered brush. Setting up a TR on either would be a lot of work

Haystack on top of Si is a fantasically long hike for scratching around. While it's in the book, I wouldnt recommend that as a destination ever.

I think your best bet close to Seattle in the coming couple days would be Franklin Falls.

Other ideas that come to mind are Fuggs Falls out at Vantage, and Umptanum Falls near Ellensburg, for easy access to their respective tops without having to do any climbing. Both are 2 hour drives, though.

Edited by Alex

I hesitate to even make this post but while looking for rock I seem to remember some short waterfalls along the rr tracks near the Foss River. I am talking short but easily approached. Its been years since I was in the area but I distinctly remember walking by with a beer in hand (in the rain) and discussing how they would make fun easy ice climbs. I am sure some exploration would pay off during this cold spell.

Edited by Peter_Puget

do you think this cold snap will have formed solid ice further up the drainage?

you mean up the source lake drainage (S. Fork Snoq)?

There is a nice waterfall about 30 min up the drainage from the alpental parking lot. I climbed it a few years ago in another cold spell. Temps were single digit during the day. Seemed about what was necessary to freeze the high volume. I would expect it to come in now. I thought it was one of the finer easy single pitches I've climbed in WA. Can be easily top roped too.

do you think this cold snap will have formed solid ice further up the drainage?

you mean up the source lake drainage (S. Fork Snoq)?

There is a nice waterfall about 30 min up the drainage from the alpental parking lot. I climbed it a few years ago in another cold spell. Temps were single digit during the day. Seemed about what was necessary to freeze the high volume. I would expect it to come in now. I thought it was one of the finer easy single pitches I've climbed in WA. Can be easily top roped too.

This was forming up Sunday when I wandered by; I bet it'll be a nice little outing this weekend. Not super steep, 25 meters, probably cauliflowered.

I haven't been there in a while, but with this weather I think it would probably be a go. And the access is about as easy as you can ask for. There are some smears along the RR grade just across the river from Index town wall. Park wherever it makes sense, then follow the grade back toward Highway 2 Stevens Pass. Within 200- 300 yards you'll find smears that can ice up pretty well. Maybe further than that, but not much. Not real hard, WI2-ish? Probably tricky scritching around to set up a TR, but what the Pho. If I get around to it, I'll post some photos.

IndexIce.02.96.001.jpg

Dork City.

Edited by jon