2008 election: paradigm shift?

mattp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a deterrence standpoint, our nuclear arsenal constitutes ridiculous overkill. A huge majority of that arsenal is legacy inventory; we built it, oh well, let's just keep it around, necessary or not.

Agreed.

People do not understand owning a nuclear weapon shows others you have the intention to kill innocents and non combatants with the purpose of intimidating a government.

Legally that is called terrorism, and would make the US a state sponsoring in terrorism.

There has been a lot of talk about whether or not Obama's election represents a mandate. My distinct impression is that the American public has voted FOR healthcare and AGAINST character-attack campaign tactics, but I'm less clear on how we've voted on taxes, foreign policy, and "social" issues. Thoughts?

Do you guys who predicted republican landslides for President and Governor have reason to re-evaluate where you think the "center" lies?

Or you, who say the Democrats are sellouts to "the middle," any real reason to think they will shift more toward your liking?

My feeling is there is no paradigm shift. I saw too many votes almost 50-50. We probably just saw a lot more moderates voting for the "lesser of two evils" and more poor people feeling a vote for black man will improve their lives--where they would not have voted before becuase they felt their vote meant nothing.

Boy are you one fat, dumb, hypocritical, and angry piece of...

We clearly need more of everyone trading slams around here, but do you dispute the premise that McCain ran a disgraceful campaign based in large part on smear and innuendo and that Obama mostly rose above it? Maybe you and TomTom can get together and cite examples of how Obama and Biden were just as lowlife as McCain and Palin? I'd like to see it.

Boy are you one fat, dumb, hypocritical, and angry piece of...

We clearly need more of everyone trading slams around here, but do you dispute the premise that McCain ran a disgraceful campaign based in large part on smear and innuendo and that Obama mostly rose above it? Maybe you and TomTom can get together and cite examples of how Obama and Biden were just as lowlife as McCain and Palin? I'd like to see it.

Jeeze Matt.

That is really nasty.

You arrogant f....

There FW, I spared you the keystrokes.

But can you answer the question?

Who cares? Obama is president elect. Palin is going back to being a lowly civil servant and Johnny will ride out the rest of his career in middle management. Its over. Can we please stop talking about the election? I was ready for this one to be done a year befire the election and I am sure as shit ready for it now.

You are not required to read any of this.

Nor does anybody care if you think we shouldn't talk about what interests us.

In short, your whine was heard and will henceforth be ignored.

Why don't you post a TR on your "adventures" in Iraq.

You mentioned "taking a bullet" in a thread last week.

Did that really happen? Do you care to talk about it?

Seriously, post a TR.

And I agree with Bug (big surprise). I think it is not only interesting, but how we perceive this election will affect American politics as we move forward.

If that was what you were actually doing. Seems you would rather bicker with repubs re: mudslinging. That has nothing to do with anything pertinent to the Nation.

Bug. You can stick your fingers in the holes 22Dec - 04Jan. Peace.

And I agree with Bug (big surprise). I think it is not only interesting, but how we perceive this election will affect American politics as we move forward.

If that was what you were actually doing. Seems you would rather bicker with repubs re: mudslinging. That has nothing to do with anything pertinent to the Nation.

Bug. You can stick your fingers in the holes 22Dec - 04Jan. Peace.

I'll buy the beer.

We can watch it pore out the holes.

Get well soon!