Headlamp Choices

coug4

After a 20 hour adventure the other day I've decided to give the old headlamp the retirement it deserves. Narrowing the options has left me with the following list:

BD spot

Mammut TX1

BD Icon

I would like to have AA batteries for other device compatibility. But weight and brightness are the two top criteria. Comments?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prineton Tec Apex Pro is the best brightness-weight ratio currently available as far as I'm aware other than the retardedly expensive Petzl and equvalent LED caving lamps. Go with third-party rechargable lithium batteries to keep the battery costs resonable or else order a bunch of CR123's off the internet - they're about $7 each if you buy them individually but $1 or less if you buy them in bulk off of the web.

The Mammut isn't as bright as its spec imply and the BD headlamps listed are made in China vs. USA for Princeton Tec (and aren't as bright, waterproof, or as well designed IMO.)

The way to approach this question is to think, "WWCU"?

And the answer is, Colin uses the BD Spot.

Case closed.

p.s. - I also use the BD Spot. It helps me find the beer at ropeup and I also climbed the Tooth once and I've seen some picture of Patagonia.

Seriously though, the Icon weighs almost half a fucking pound! The Spot weighs less than 2oz. I've always thought those Princeton Tec lights look/feel like cheap junk and never considered buying one. Intriguing that several people here seem to like them.

BD Spot is a flaming pile of dog shit... Mine has broken in 3 different places since I've bought it. The light part of it works sweet, but the fact that I had to literally tape it to the strap and then tape the thing together so that it doesn't fall off is sorta a drawback. Actually I take it back, the bright setting of it isn't that impressive either. I miss my tikka.

Anyway, maybe I got a lemon I guess. Here's the real gig though:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24460/sesent/00

+ some tape or scope mounting ring = better than any headlamp hands down.

I have the Spot and it is great.

Between the PT Apex (also the Pro) and the BD Icon go for the PT. Even though both are advertised as 3W, only the PT puts out that much power - actually, 4W. The Icon only puts out 1.7W.

Edited by cbcbd

I've been very happy with Princeton Tec stuff. Had an old "Solo" model I used for 10 years and just picked up a "QUAD" model(4 LEDs) earlier this summer, similar in size to a Tikka but seemed WAY brighter than my partner's tikka even on the medium setting. Cost about $30. 96grams.

quad_2.jpg

I'd recommend this one to anyone. Low/med/high/flash modes. Uses 3 AAAs.

I've also got a Myo-5, and it's cool around camp or if wearing a helmet, or if you need the halogen, but I don't like the battery pack on the back and it's a little heavy.

BD Spot is a flaming pile of dog shit...

My experience as well ..... As mentioned, it is compact and light, decent enough for "just in case" but I would not buy another one.

I also seriously doubt BD's numbers when it comes to the "burn time" and "distance". There is no way in hell I get 50 hours and 34 meters out of the 1 watt LED.

Mine has been demoted to camping and rafting trips only.

Edited by wdietsch

Not a paid endorsement:

I've been keen on the Princeton Tec EOS for about a year now. It's a little under 4 oz with batteries (3x AAA) and has a damn good route-finding beam at the high setting, and decent beam for trail walking at the lowest. It also has a voltage regulator so the brightness is constant for each setting. When the batteries can't support the highest setting it resorts to the next lowest setting.

The first one I had strangely used up one of the three batteries sooner than the others and hardly lasted through a summer weekend. It took it back after a couple trips and exchanged it for another one, which has not had the problem at all. Bad circuit board I'm guessing. A set of lithium batteries easily last through a several day trip in the winter. I've got an Icon as well but never use it because the EOS is just as good for route-finding and about half the weight.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a Petzl Myo XP for 2 years then upgraded to the Mammut TX1 this year. The only problem I've had with the TX1 was climbing partners complaining because of its brightness and beam range. If I looked up ahead of my partner disorientated them. I guess there are making an even better version here soon.

I'm a gear whore and IMO the TX1 lb for lb crushes anything out there.

I purchased a TX1 last year and have been very happy with it. Used it alot for skiing last year and several recent early morning starts in the Alpine.

I have been using some rechargables and it seems to be using the same as my BD and better than my older Petzl.

Light and just right!

Petzl's Tikka Plus (I have two). The Myo XP looks bomb, and they have the ULTRA now, but that is super expansive. Ditto what others say about the BD lamps, they feel weak and their buttons suck. But I recently picked up a 1 million candle powered flashlight! That's where the real power is, not in some tiny headlamp....

Edited by Maine-iac

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a BD vectra IQ, and I've been super happy with it. It's extremely bright, has tremendous battery life, and has that nifty little blinking light that helps me find it in the tent at night.

I've also got a surefire Z2 led combatlight. If you want to talk about bright- that is it. Two CR123s and an "unregulated" LED spit out about 100 lumens for around 8 hours. It really, REALLY is bright enough to temporarily blind someone. I wanted to see how serious they were so I shined it at myself. And was blinded. In the middle of the afternoon. It was like looking into the sun.