WAMU

Hugh Conway

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you say depositors, you mean FDIC-insured deposits? how many retards honestly think the sky is falling?

There are plenty of businesses with balances over $100k that would not have been insured, several I know moved. I'll let them know they are "retards"

I was referring to personal accounts within the FDIC limit.

I wanna know if they are gonna change the rate on that 12mo CD.

5% is pretty good!

That current rate can do whatever it wants. If you have an existing CD locked down at a certain rate, then you should expect a letter in the mail from JP Morgan/FDIC soon explaining what will happen. You will keep accruing your ongoing interest, but JP Morgan can set a date upon which to change the terms/rate (lower it), and in turn, you would be able to withdraw the CD without penalty.

It's really an economics game for JP Morgan.. on how much they need capital now vs. what interest rate do they really want to pay.

The pain in the ass will be all the paperwork for transferring IRAs from one bank to another, especially making sure you don't lose your annual "free" transfer that few personal bankers understand.

• 2 months later...
Best thing for the govt to do if there's no other choice than for FDIC not to pay is to print more currency.

Gary, you do know what that leads to, don't you? Germany, 1923 ring a bell? Israel in the early 1980s? Hell, Zimbabwe right now? The Fed has done a damned good job of keeping inflation as low as it is. Why would you want to fuck that up by printing more money that's not backed by anything?

Your solution to a few people losing their money is to wipe out everyones money? Is this a joke? High inflation decimates the middle class and business.

Currently inflation is >5% (annualized 5.7% in August I believe). Your "chunk" at 5% is losing money for you everyday adjusted for inflation.

Looks like we've been printing more money, that is, "quantitative easing."

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/15/news/economy/credit_market/index.htm

btw, a great quote i heard the other day to describe our current practices: we're capitalizing the gains and socializing the losses

Edited by Gary_Yngve