NYT: "No bias here!"

Fairweather

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/21/mccain-campaign-says-new-york-times-blocked-op-ed-response-to-obama/

The Times told McCain’s advisers that it would not accept the op-ed in its current form because it did not offer new information. Obama’s speech previewed a series of speeches leading up to a highly publicized trip to war zones in the Middle East.

“I’d be very eager to publish the senator on the op-ed page. However, I’m not going to be able to accept this piece as currently written. I’d be pleased, though, to look at another draft. Let me suggest an approach,”..."It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama’s piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq. It would also have to lay out a clear plan for achieving victory — with troops levels, timetables and measures for compelling the Iraqis to cooperate. And it would need to describe the Senator’s Afghanistan strategy, spelling out how it meshes with his Iraq plan,” Shipley wrote.

...Shipley, who was named deputy editor in January 2003, served in the Clinton administration as a senior presidential speechwriter and special assistant to the president from 1995 to 1997.

Edited by Fairweather

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/21/mccain-campaign-says-new-york-times-blocked-op-ed-response-to-obama/

The Times told McCain’s advisers that it would not accept the op-ed in its current form because it did not offer new information. Obama’s speech previewed a series of speeches leading up to a highly publicized trip to war zones in the Middle East.

“I’d be very eager to publish the senator on the op-ed page. However, I’m not going to be able to accept this piece as currently written. I’d be pleased, though, to look at another draft. Let me suggest an approach,”..."It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama’s piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms, how Senator McCain defines victory in Iraq. It would also have to lay out a clear plan for achieving victory — with troops levels, timetables and measures for compelling the Iraqis to cooperate. And it would need to describe the Senator’s Afghanistan strategy, spelling out how it meshes with his Iraq plan,” Shipley wrote.

...Shipley, who was named deputy editor in January 2003, served in the Clinton administration as a senior presidential speechwriter and special assistant to the president from 1995 to 1997.

Good.....bout time. Anything to keep from going through another 4 years of bush.

but that is a rationalization! because its like your opinion man, and we all know opinions are rationalizations. for some people at least!

what would be better is an irrationalization. we've seen plenty of that from the RIGHT WING FUCKNUTS. its like when you use fuzzy math...facts are just things people bring up to confuse voters into supporting LEFT WING COMMIE PINKO HIPPOCRITS. ;)

but i find it funny that rationalizations might be construed as a negative thing. i guess they are when they are contrary to your opinion.

As a bleeding heart Liberal who worships at the alter of the NYT and the once proud Pravda, I was ready to defend the NYT for this. But then I thought about it and realized that it is the job of the newspaper of record to take an even handed approach toward the election. This is until I read the piece.

Summary: Obama hasn't endored my surge

Man that guy sounds like a little whiner. The whole article is about Obama. Nothing about McCain. Hasn't McCain heard the saying that all press is good press. He should be talking about what he would do to fix the mess in Iraqm not about Obama.Obama gets enough press w/o McCain talking about him all the time. That piece really doesn't live up to NYT standards. If he puts something news worthy together they should run it. But this isn't it.

McCain's campaign comes down to this. "I spent 5 years in a tiger cage! I deserve to be president DAMMIT!".

No rationalizations, you can read the proposed op-ed on Drudge and it was pretty lame.

Screw Drudge. That asshole. I gave up on that asswipe recently when his relentless posting of every pissy little negative Hillary artical was put on his OP-Ed site called the "Drudgereport" in huge headlines throughout the primaries. That kind of shit is just wrong. Very wrong.

BTW, I never supported her, did not want her to win, and had $200 bucks on the fact that she wouldn't win the Dem nomination, so I don't have have a horse in that race and I'm happy she lost. I just thought it was underhanded, sneaky and plain very very wrong the way Drudge continually attacked her this way - much more upfront and obvious than the NYT and Fox could ever dream of or try. You'd think as a gay person he'd support a Bi-Lesbian like Hillary, but alas....

I understand the rational here on the McCain thing, it's favoritism. Newspapers can do that on editorial pages. Thats why it's an "Editorial" and not a "news" story. They pick candidates all the time, and the NYT will pick Obama if they haven't already done so.

Boycott Drudge. At least we know the editorial slant that NYT and Fox bring to the table.

I didn't think that the McCain piece was lame at all. One of these men will be the commander in Chief soon, the rant was very Germaine and appros to that IMO.