Wherever you were, go back there next weekend

builder206

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your position having had a few large dogs myself.

The older they get, the more dominant they become.

Strange situations throw them like this one where your dog probably felt like the alpha male protecting his tied up pack.

Just one thing to consider, my 10 year old daughter is going to panic every time a big dog gets aggressive with her.

She is getting better as she matures but kids should be allowed to go to the crags without being knocked down by mean or even friendly dogs. It is a big problem when it is your kid getting bruised by a bozo dog who just wanted to push by her. You would be surprised how often this happens.

I now group them and prepare for battle when we are approaching a big dog.

"He is friendly." is bullshit if your friendly dog knocks my daughter down and hurts her. In that case it is YOU who is the problem.

As you defend your dog, ask yourself if you would defend your daughter with the same vigor.

I do not think my post is spray.

If your safety is being threatened while you are climbing or even approaching, that is worth knowing about a specific area.

In this case, I offered my perspective. Maybe if you saw someone you cared about bleeding as the result of a friendly dog you would not be so cavalier.

I encourage you to leave the dogs at home if they can't be attended at the base of the crag. Being barked at (even by a dog that is tied up) is no fun and being nipped and snarled at by a dog that is off-leash and unattended is totally unacceptable.

:tup:

Leashing dogs doesn't always prevent problems. I've seen owners leash their snarling dogs to the base of routes, but the dogs could cover the nearby trail preventing folks from passing. This has been done at the base of Japanese Gardens, for example.

Like I wrote before, I'll leash him in the populated areas from now on when i can't be around him. He has never nipped at anyone ever before so i don't know what was going on with that. Usually he sits by my pack and makes tons of friends. My buddy's barking puppy may not have helped the situation and we do need to get her bark under control (I completely agree -nothing like leading Princely with a barking dog in the background -it sucks). I tried to talk to you guys as I was up at the chains on top of pitch 1. All I saw and heard was the two dogs barking, people running, panic, and someone yelling "leash your fucking dog." So... my apologies to Emily and your crew. We rapped down quickly because I was very concerned and yes Mack was leashed on our next climb. I'd like to encourage people to remain calm around strange dogs even if they are barking or growling. Panic usually makes the situation worse.

you actually left the ground with your dog unleashed? Fuckin' tool...that's not cool to your dog or others...

Edited by RuMR

All I saw and heard was the two dogs barking, people running, panic, and someone yelling "leash your fucking dog." So... my apologies to Emily and your crew. We rapped down quickly because I was very concerned and yes Mack was leashed on our next climb. I'd like to encourage people to remain calm around strange dogs even if they are barking or growling. Panic usually makes the situation worse.

The whole situation could have been made infinitely better (read, completely avoided) by leaving the pooches at home. Off leash anywhere in a public venue (with the exception of an O/L dog park), without the owner immediately present, is unforgivable. I, too, have been decked/attacked by ostensibly "friendly" dogs. I didn't find them nearly so friendly.

you gotta admit that it wasn't fair to the dog to put him in a situation without his owner around, right? plus, its not fair to the other folks...

somewhat of a sore issue with me as i've had a pack destroyed by a dog and on another separate incident, my kid bowled over...perhaps i should leash the kid???

I have 2 dogs I love very much and would never take them to the crag. It is not an activity that a dog and owner can participate in together. Go running or hiking so you are always there with your dog and can control their actions. Taking a dog to the crag is distracting to fellow climbers. Many people are scared of dogs and others allergic. So why prevent others from having a good time?

Like I wrote before, I'll leash him in the populated areas from now on when i can't be around him. He has never nipped at anyone ever before so i don't know what was going on with that. Usually he sits by my pack and makes tons of friends. My buddy's barking puppy may not have helped the situation and we do need to get her bark under control (I completely agree -nothing like leading Princely with a barking dog in the background -it sucks). I tried to talk to you guys as I was up at the chains on top of pitch 1. All I saw and heard was the two dogs barking, people running, panic, and someone yelling "leash your fucking dog." So... my apologies to Emily and your crew. We rapped down quickly because I was very concerned and yes Mack was leashed on our next climb. I'd like to encourage people to remain calm around strange dogs even if they are barking or growling. Panic usually makes the situation worse.

it sounds like your dog does not belong at the crag period. very very few dogs have any business being at the crag. and the ones who should be there are beyond exceptional. dogs like people are never 100% predictable. if you think you know your dog, think again. if a dog feels threatened or vulnerable it will respond violently to protect it's self... just like most people.

I've always had good experiences with other peoples' dogs at crags. I don't have a dog myself and enjoy being around them. But, the ones I've been around have always been well-behaved and, although offleash, a responsible owner has always been nearby. I didn't realize there were so many bad experiences.

you gotta admit that it wasn't fair to the dog to put him in a situation without his owner around, right? plus, its not fair to the other folks...

somewhat of a sore issue with me as i've had a pack destroyed by a dog and on another separate incident, my kid bowled over...perhaps i should leash the kid???

my youngest son was bit by a dog at a crag. the dog was normally really chill. we had been petting the dog and hanging out with him prior to the incident. we had seen the dog there before, the guy who owned the dog was a pretty cool guy. it was terrifying and unfortunate. i am really glad my son isn't scared emotionally or physically. having been around dogs my whole life we didn't panic. we took it in stride and thing two was not damaged. --- dogs do not belong at the crag. unless of course you bring a third person to watch the dog just like you would (should) with a child.

side note, we are getting a dog soon. I fell in love with 2 over the weekend, one was a pit boxer mix and one was a pit...I wanted to bring them both home. I love dogs. I will take my dog to the park to the dog park to the ocean hiking walking running camping but not cragging unless i have a dog sitter. dogs do not get what the hell we are doing way up there where they can't get to us and for some dogs it is really unsettling.

My parents had a beautiful half wolf.

We always kept it on a leash but it was a really mellow female.

One night around 2:30AM I was walking her in the park. There was no one around so I let her off the leash. We ran about a mile when we came to a clearing. Just as we entered it, a woman entered from the other side. My dog trotted up to her just to check her out. She totally freaked out, fell on her back and put her legs up to keep my dog away from her. She was terrified. I grabbed Sheila as fast as I could but the woman was already in tears. Sheila was not aggressive nor did she growl or bear her teeth. But this woman had no way to know that Sheila was a gentle dog.

I suggest you rember that with your pit bulls Muffy. They are bred to be aggressive. Most of them will respond to good training but some simply do not. Any stranger would be stupid to trust them.

One night around 2:30AM I was walking her in the park. There was no one around so I let her off the leash. We ran about a mile when we came to a clearing. Just as we entered it, a woman entered from the other side. My dog trotted up to her just to check her out. She totally freaked out, fell on her back and put her legs up to keep my dog away from her. She was terrified. I grabbed Sheila as fast as I could but the woman was already in tears. Sheila was not aggressive nor did she growl or bear her teeth. But this woman had no way to know that Sheila was a gentle dog.

I suggest you rember that with your pit bulls Muffy. They are bred to be aggressive. Most of them will respond to good training but some simply do not. Any stranger would be stupid to trust them.

I grew up with Boxers and my hunny grew up with Mastiffs. we are very familiar with bully breeds. :) i am not a fan of any dog being off leash. some don't need to be leashed but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be. but then i don't like other peoples kids to walk up to me either. they don't bite (usually) but it is still awkward.

The bully breed dogs that i have known were absolutely docile unless they thought that someone in their family was in any kind of danger. I had no doubt as a kid that Lady would not let anyone in the house who would hurt me. yet my ritual with her every morning was to lay down on the floor in the morning so we could wrestle and she would lick my face. my mom babysat kids and Lady would just sit there when the kids would paw all over her and pull her ears. Mom mom ran with Lady every morning. she was well behaved on a leash and would sit by my mom's foot if any other dog was around. she was not very socialized and I think I will do that differently. I would like my dog to be more social. however, I will not ever leave my dog tied in front of a store, or at the bottom of a climb. that is not fair to the dog or the other people around.

(I am really excited to get a dog :moondance: )

Well...I'm hoping we can all put this to bed. I've read enough. I've apologized and stated what I've learned and how I hope to limit these problems in the future. I haven't heard back from Alpinfox but I do hope that he and his crew accepts my apology. I guess if you choose to call me names or perhaps tell me that my dog has no business being at a crag leashed or not leashed then that's your choice and reaction to the situation. I am responsible for both my dog's and my actions and I know that. I know that I've crossed paths with many of you over the weekends and years. I try to get out every weekend if possible and many times my dog has been by my side. I've taken him craggin in Indian Creek, Squamish, Leavenworth, Tieton, Vantage and more. We've always had good relations and times with people until now (leashed and unleashed). Will I still take him? The answer is yes. Please do not throw rocks at him but feel free to call me all the names you like (to my face Rudy and not via internet). I'm out.

I grew up with Boxers and my hunny grew up with Mastiffs. we are very familiar with bully breeds. :) i am not a fan of any dog being off leash. some don't need to be leashed but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be. but then i don't like other peoples kids to walk up to me either. they don't bite (usually) but it is still awkward.

The bully breed dogs that i have known were absolutely docile unless they thought that someone in their family was in any kind of danger. I had no doubt as a kid that Lady would not let anyone in the house who would hurt me. yet my ritual with her every morning was to lay down on the floor in the morning so we could wrestle and she would lick my face. my mom babysat kids and Lady would just sit there when the kids would paw all over her and pull her ears. Mom mom ran with Lady every morning. she was well behaved on a leash and would sit by my mom's foot if any other dog was around. she was not very socialized and I think I will do that differently. I would like my dog to be more social. however, I will not ever leave my dog tied in front of a store, or at the bottom of a climb. that is not fair to the dog or the other people around.

So if you want a dog to play nice with the kids, get a lab. The question is what do you get with "pit" that you wouldn't get with less aggressive breed.....why risk it? Given the litigious nature of our society, are you really going to trust your family's financial future to a dog's ability to rightly judge "when someone in their family was in any kind of danger".

Will I still take him? The answer is yes. Please do not throw rocks at him but feel free to call me all the names you like (to my face Rudy and not via internet).

In the future leave your dog at home or devote you time outdoors to time spent with your buddy. I'm sure part of the problem was the dog felt abandoned at the base of the crag while he could see you having fun.

Past experience may have lead you to believe that there wasn't a problem, but now you know there is.

I bet Rudy would have this talk with you in person too.

So if you want a dog to play nice with the kids, get a lab. The question is what do you get with "pit" that you wouldn't get with less aggressive breed.....why risk it? Given the litigious nature of our society, are you really going to trust your family's financial future to a dog's ability to rightly judge "when someone in their family was in any kind of danger".

The breed is not agressive they are protective. I don't care for Labs. Bully breeds are no more a risk than any other dog. they require training and like any other breed if they are too inbred they are more likely to no function well in society. as far as the protective nature of some breeds Mastiffs Boxers Pitbulls Rots and others, they were specificly bred to go to war (mastifs and rots) Bull mastiffs were bred to attack people who were tresspassing. It is in their breeding to know when someone is not suposed to be on the property. I am fully aware of how you and other uneducated people view bully breed dogs and frankly i am totaly uninterested. The only dogs i have ever seen attack inappropriately were not bully breed. one was indeed a black lab that nearly tore the face of it's owners child. so there.