Interesting Fitness Site

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can call it that if you like, but he's not simply using the CrossFit program. Maybe the basics, but if you read into the daily workouts, and the comments, he's definitely left that mentality.

Yeah, well, I just skimmed it then jumped to conclusions. Keeping it real here on cc.com.

Twight knockoff. He is just using the Cross Fit program without calling it that. Well-rounded athletic training pays off in sports performance, including mountain sports. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

Except that folks actually doing sport specific training crush CF folks in their events. ;)

I believe that Rob and MFT know and like each other...it's possible that Rob did courses at GymJones and brought his own special sauce to the recipe.

After all, it's about doing something, isn't it? I've got some more conclusions to offer for $0.002 so...

There are some "straw man" arguments against CF that get repeated over & over. One is this idea that CF is all you need. On the contrary, CF senior cult leaders have *always* said that if you play a sport, CF is only a foundation---general physical preparation they call it. No one in the CF command bunker has ever said CF substututes for sport-specific training, only that a base of general athletic fitness created by CF training gives you a big boost in your sport.

If you follow a seasonal sport the programming would be mostly CF in off-season, then lighten up on CF as spring training starts. Once the season is underway, maybe very little CF conditioning or limited, specific CF evolutions that target weaknesses.

If you rely on CF exclusively and only pick up your stick on game day, sure you'll be crushed. Being dumb has always been a quick way to lose at sports.

Read through the discussions below each the workouts. That is really what makes this site interesting. I think you'll find Mtn Athlete is not just a CF or Gym Jones knock off but a gym where they seems to be pulling from many fitness philosphies with the goal of training people who spend a significant amount of time climbing, skiing etc.

Below 2 good examples....

http://mtnathlete.com/id128.html

http://mtnathlete.com/id126.html

Depends what type of climbing were talking about. Certainly dragging heavy packs up Rainer takes a different type of training than .13 redpoint at Smith. Physical fitness is important for every type of climbing, I can't find any info on that site for which type of climbing they are training for.

• 2 weeks later...

Chance to get in on the ground floor. This seminar will likely cost 2x next year. Shoot me a PM for details/etc

FRIDAY, JUNE 27

0800-0930 STRENGTH TRAINING FOR MOUNTAIN ATHLETES (Hands On)

The multi-faceted nature of mountain events and relative lack of strength training experience of mountain athletes demands a unique and hybrid approach to strength training. In this hands-on session attendees will experience first hand a training session which includes workout design, 1-RM strength test, and strongman training.

0930-1030 IDENTIFYING PHYSCIAL DEMANDS (Lecture)

Definition and discussion of Raw Strength, Explosive Power, Strength Endurance, Power Endurance and Metabolic Conditioning - the physical capacities needed for mountain athletes.

1030-1200 RELATIVE STRENGTH & BRUTE STRENGTH (Hands On)

The importance of relative strength, brute strength, and strength endurance will be discussed and practiced in this session. 1RM max testing, why do it and how to do it will also be covered. The use of and importance of strongman training to transfer barbell strength to functional strength will be discussed and demonstrated. Sample exercises will be demonstrated and practiced.

1200-1300 LUNCH BREAK

1300-1400 POWER ENDURANCE (Lecture and hands on)

Power endurance - or the ability to deliver power over extended periods is perhaps the most important physiological attribute to a mountain athlete. The principals behind power endurance will be discussed. Sample exercises and training sessions to train and evaluate power endurance will be demonstrated and discussed.

1400-1500 STRENGTH ENDURANCE (Lecture and hands on)

Strength endurance is somewhat related to maximal strength, but not totally, and is perhaps more important to mountain athletes. Training for strength endurance will be discussed, sample exercises and training sessions will be demonstrated.

1500-1600 CORE TRAINING (Lecture and hands on)

A strong core is key to durability, especially in mature mountain athletes. Discussion will include static versus dynamic core training, loaded core training, and strength endurance. Exercises will be demonstrated, and programming discussed.

1600-1700 NUTRITION (Lecture)

How to eat to become light and strong will be covered. Included will be pros and cons of the Paleo and zone diets, calorie restrictions, supplements, workout nutrition and event nutrition.

SATURDAY, JUNE 28

0800-0930 EXPLOSIVE POWER (Lecture and Hands On)

Attendees will be put through an explosive power workout. Following the workout, exercise selection, technique and coaching points will be discussed.

0930-1030 METABOLIC CONDITIONING (Lecture)

Training session design for metabolic conditioning will be discussed, as well as the goals behind this type of intense, anaerobic training. The pros and cons of employing this type of training frequently, the mental toughness it builds, and mental toll it takes will be covered.

1030-1200 PROGRAMING BASICS (Lecture)

Conjugate periodization to train for maximal strength, explosive power, power endurance, strength endurance and metabolic conditioning will be covered.

1200-1300 LUNCH BREAK

1300-1400 WEIGHT ROOM DESIGN, LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT (Lecture and Hands On)

Many athletes have little lifting experience and come into the gym often with wrongly stereotyped attitudes. Winning over these attitudes, and building a hunger in these types of athletes for strength training is essential to a successful strength and conditioning program. How hard to make it, how hard to push, how to deal with injuries, and how to deal with whiners will be discussed thoroughly. Weight room design and management strategies plus equipment selection will be discussed and demonstrated.

1400-1500 TRAINING SESSION DESIGN (Lecture)

This is where the rubber hits the road. Designing daily workouts which meet conjugate periodization goals, yet take into account athlete physical and mental fatigue, movement and muscle balance, and time restrictions is as much art as science. Learn the approach we use.

1500-1600 PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES (Lecture)

Any Strength and Conditioning Coach worth his or her salt knows they can never quit learning, Developing a strategy for continuous learning and professional development which pays attention to time and cost restriction will be discussed.

1600-1700 TRANSFERABILITY (Lecture)

Training in the gym must support and complement real sport. As a strength and conditioning coach, it is easy to forget this fact and get caught up in gym times and numbers, when what really counts is outside the gym. Discussion will cover to how evaluate training's effectiveness outside the gym including measurements, surveys, etc.

1700-1730 FINAL Q&A (Lecture)

An open question and answer session to address any lingering questions and issues.

Interesting site John. My thoughts:

"Studies have shown that in industrial athletes like firefighters, muscle imbalances, overall weakness, core weakness, hip mobility, and overuse issues all lead to higher injury rates."

This is a quote from the link that I think not only is applicable to the rest of us, but may in fact be the reason many of us do not train so hard. It is my reason for sure. The overuse part. Unfortunately, the rest of the things noted could be helped by training. That and time restraints. From my viewpoint, if I am injured while training, and unable to head out, I'd be screwed. Then what would I do, sit and watch TV all summer? I've seen several semi-hard chargers get mobility issues and leave the game altogether rather than continually face the daily pain. Some of them may have taken the pain with them. Friend Marvin was getting up 5.12+ for instance and I haven't seen Brock for a while, but suspect that was his issue for instance, with hip arthritis and mobility issues and the accompanying pain.

If I had more confidence that these issues could be resolved via training and not exaggeratedly by it, I could more easily commit to the time. Why injure myself via spending time away from my family, not to mention the monetary cost, when I can just head out, and enjoy the time outside, which in and of itself is a conditioning agent? I'll try and snatch a moment or 2 working on opposition muscles to compensate.

That is not to denigrate those who do commit the major money, time and risk to it. I'm sure that to succeed and via additional training go from just solid, to amazing and Uber strong, is a reward as well. I only speak for myself here. For guys like John and Marcus, they work hard at real jobs and want to abruptly head out and go climb kick-assed hard ice mid-winter with a guy like Bryan who living over there and is running routine laps on steep ice, this may be their only solution, and it works well for them. Getting conditioned for hanging on tools, when there is no ice around, must be accomplished by training. The same can be said for many other climbing niches as well.

I hear you Bill! That is were a solid, educated trainer/coach comes into play. All of those workouts if done incorrectly can flatten even the fittest among us... having a trainer to ensure you are doing things correctly is key.

More importantly: communicating to your trainer issues/ailments you have had in the past as well as other forms of training you are doing (gym sessions, running, skiing, etc) will allow them to modify the workouts to ensure you arent going to reinjury yourself or overuse certain muscles. Great example would be Shannon broker her ankle this year... my coach was able to modify the workouts so she could continue to workout and continues to modify them as she has slowly restrengthened that leg.

What most people commonly think is when you start this type of training they just throw you to the wolves and start you on RX level workouts... most people do scaled down workouts for the first three months before scaling up.

And I hear you on the time thing. We're all busy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
if only I wasn't out of town (likely climbing in Montana) that weekend...

I would seriously consider reorganizing your trip plans... as Rob continues to gain notoriety within the strength/conditioning world his seminar prices will only increase... @ $450 this is a steal! The same seminar @ gym jones is $1500... a CF level 1 will set you back $1000 but its you and 40 other people (we are capping this one @ 10!) and a CF level 1 doesnt spend any time discussing how to blend xfit with training for your sport... something you need if you are serious about leveraging xfit for climbing.

Send me a PM or email if you have more questions about it

I wish there was a facility like this in ellensburg/nearby. It seems like with all the climbers in central washington a decent group could be formed. Ever since I've "retired" from competitive running I've been yearning to get back into some sort of structure routine.

The great thing about Cross Fit is that you can fire up your own little scene without a lot of time or money. The CF website has exhaustive info about the exercises and programming. Relatively few tools are needed and many of those can be improvised.

There are individuals and small groups in very remote places on earth, living in difficult conditions, who do CF regularly. You can make your own success with CF. No need to wait on others.

If you can, look up CF Level Four Seattle ("CF Seattle") on the main CF site and contact Dave Werner. Ask him if you can come by the gym in Ballard and meet him, watch a workout, ask some questions. I can't speak for Dave but I bet he will be willing to help you see and understand the rudiments.