Sexy Time!

olyclimber

I think that you can make the ethical case solely on the distinction between voluntary and coerced activity, ...

I would argue that many women are coerced into prostitution and legalization will not change this fact - and not even improve the situation (it could make it worse).

It is as if no one has noticed that when you ask a gal of any age what she wants to be when she grows up, she NEVER says, "a whore".

I can't recall any saying "IT professional" or "waitress" either.

Obviously your experience with females is rather limited.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is as if no one has noticed that when you ask a gal of any age what she wants to be when she grows up, she NEVER says, "a whore".

True, but at a young age, few of us knew the kinds and extent of compromises we would make along the way.

We are all whores. We only rationalize the large and small sales of ourselves by our personal credos and perception of cultural acceptance.

There is a big difference between "whoring" oneself in the figurative sense and having to risk your life on the streets to survive.

And for the record, I think prostitution should be legalized and regulated. This would help protect the safety and the health of all involved.

On the human side of it though, I think it is very sad that men and women have to resort to paying for sex or providing it for money. I think sex is one of the most beautiful gifts we are given, and to cheapen it this way must make people feel empty in their hearts.

I think that you can make the ethical case solely on the distinction between voluntary and coerced activity, ...

I would argue that many women are coerced into prostitution and legalization will not change this fact - and not even improve the situation (it could make it worse).

That's a possibility, but not one that's equally likely under all regulatory regimes. I think you'd have to consult the statistical record to make a convincing argument one way or another.

I think it all comes down to:

1)Whether or not there's a moral case for prohibiting things that mentally competent adults do to themselves in private, or that they choose to do to one another in private.

2)Whether or not you think it's likely that the coercive apparatus devised to limit one particular variety of behavior that fits the description above will remain confined to the said activities. Personally, someone using heroin concerns me far less than the state's enforcement apparatus seizing their assets because they choose to consume a substance that others don't think is very good for them.

if legalized and taxed, the funds raised from prostitution alone could pay for the 12 billion a month cost of the war in Iraq.
Interesting idea. I'd like to see it pay for the health care of the women who work so hard to fuck the men who are so unappealing that no one will do them for free.

There is a big difference between "whoring" oneself in the figurative sense and having to risk your life on the streets to survive.

And for the record, I think prostitution should be legalized and regulated. This would help protect the safety and the health of all involved.

Some of the biggest strides in institutionalizing the health and safety of prostitutes have made by sex-workers unions. Here's a link to one of the largest. Lots of info here.

Obviously your experience with females is rather limited.

Limited to women who are much more accomplished, and who work in jobs that are much more interesting and important than "IT professional?" Yes.

True, but at a young age, few of us knew the kinds and extent of compromises we would make along the way.

We are all whores. We only rationalize the large and small sales of ourselves by our personal credos and perception of cultural acceptance.

On the human side of it though, I think it is very sad that men and women have to resort to paying for sex or providing it for money. I think sex is one of the most beautiful gifts we are given, and to cheapen it this way must make people feel empty in their hearts.

I make no distinction. Sex is simply one of many people's necessities and people will do what suits them to obtain it. The life-threatening aspect is little different than that of many activities.

And, although some people (male and female) may be scarred emotionally by finding themselves in such a situation, there are many that have little trouble rationalizing the activity and consider it simply a job. My concern for those who are able to rationalize "the job" in whether they lose the facility of intimacy when they desire such.

Nice rationalization, though. Whore.

Edited by Dechristo

Some of the biggest strides in institutionalizing the health and safety of prostitutes have made by sex-workers unions. Here's a link to one of the largest. Lots of info here.

Hopefully the Teamsters will be inspired by their example.

very well said

I strongly remember as a young girl wanting to be BOTH President of the USA AND Miss America when I grew up. I guess I recognized at an early age that it was good to have beauty and power. I gave up that ambition when I realized neither career really had much of either...kinda like being a whore!