Ozone Climber discusson

billcoe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan, I should think that if you agreed to be the group contact, then the only thing which would be really be required of you would be to field calls that came in from any agency official wanting to follow-up on what was presented and / or submitted. I wouldn't think it would be more than one or two calls at most, but you never know I suppose.

From a recent visit to Stevenson....

Here is a Skamania County Assessors map for the section on the Ozone.

The link is: www.portlandrockclimbs.com/ozone/ozone.jpg

I can keep it active at that link temporarily till you all can analyze the map.

The map shows the state highway 'right of way' section.

They have about 300'+ from center southward toward the cliff.

Section 101, section 102 are USA on the Assessors map as per the county office, but it is administered by CRGNSA as per Skamania County Title company.

Section 103 may also be the same, but someone can easily call the Skamania County Title company to verify again just to be certain your cards are all in the right pocket.

And what do USA stand for? Is USA simply a designation for federal lands? CRGNSA is clearly the 'Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area'. If Ozone is indeed proxy administered by the CRGNSA - which seems quite believable - then that is a wicket of a somewhat stickier nature. Dealing with CRGNSA means you are into the same regulatory sort of onion layers as Beacon, albeit with fewer layers. Interacting with them will mean really having documented facts in hand and the details of what is intended and desired well-organized and thought out.

Thick onion layers, indeed.

The little black book at the County Tax Assessors office reads as just USA, nothing more.

A phone call to Skamania County Title Co. and they will tell you it is CRGNSA office in Hood River, OR.

Yet 330' southward from center may encompass the entire crag...

Then in all likelyhood it just means federal land, either BLM or NFS which, since the Gorge Act, means the onion goes like:

County

WA State (roads and transportation right of ways)

CRGNSA

NFS/BLM

Railroad (right of way, probably doesn't make it over to the rock)

Tribes

So in reality, an onion a lot like Beacon's except with less active management interest on the part of many of the agencies of record with jurisdiction over Ozone. Out of that list I'd say these are the ones which might possibly take an active interest at some point:

County

WA State

CRGNSA

The latter probably being the one which would require the most work though I believe there are good climber - CRGNSA contacts, that they are aware of the place and so for now the focus should be on WSDOT to insure at the very least you don't lose parking and preferrably gain some.

As the date approaches, I just looked at this again. The public meeting which I referenced above is for a different project. There appears to be no public opportunities for public comment after the one noted in 2004 on the web site for the SR14 Marble road - Cape Horn project.

This may be a done deal already. I have emailed wdot requesting contact information. It is possible that the project may not impact the zone at all, maybe some of you can look at the project specifics closely. A careful examination of the map shows that there is a gap where it appears they are not working on or changing the road....... The non colored area on the WSDOT map is where the zone is - its right across from the Oregon View Road there.

Kind of hoping someone with half a brain steps up, figures this out and takes care of this......although it appears that the tags on the trees through there may not affect anything.

Thoughts?

WSDOT link

Tim, thanks for the Stevenson accessors info.

Bryan, BTW, congrats on the baby! :wave:

God willing they will all show up and dawg the easy routes with Fifi Hooks attached to their nards.

while simaltenously drilling a gnarly new route 6 inches away from an old one and throwing bald eagles eggs down the cliff and wiping their ass w/ the american flag! :P

while simaltenously drilling a gnarly new route 6 inches away from an old one and throwing bald eagles eggs down the cliff and wiping their ass w/ the american flag! :P

Pretty inflammatory, you on a new crusade or sumpin?

Sport climbers in yee olden times:

euros1.jpg

** at Belle Center Road (milepost 23.02-23.34);

* between Belle Center Road and the Half Bridge near Cape Horn (milepost 23.34-23.6);

These will definitely impact Ozone if in no other way than the construction. Looks like a clever way for the state to eliminate the anti-Gorge Act billboard which I believe may be on one of the turns. It would be good to talk try to the WSDOT project manager at the very least as I'd guess they plan on getting to it in the next few months about when folks really want to be gettong on stuff. If no accomodations are made I suspect the sherrif will start tagging cars in advance of and during construction.

SR 14 - Marble Road Vicinity to Belle Center Road, Cape Horn Bridge Vicinity to Cape Horn Road

Project Status - February 2008

Currently, the project team is in the early stages of design. Environmental documentation, geotechnical exploration and preliminary engineering have begun. Construction is currently scheduled to start in 2010.

------------------------------------------------------

I just called over there and project manager is Justin King - he wasn't in today. Because he wasn't, I was somehow mistakenly routed to a project manager for a different project, but whom was gracious enough to take a moment to talk with me. She said it shouldn't be a problem talking to Justin.

If you guy's want to figure out what you want to say and who you want to do the talking - I'd be happy to set up a meet or call with him when he calls back. I can also just forward him on to the name and number of your choice. I'd still recommend Bryan and I'd say you ought to get real explicit about requesting parking as well as egress to and from SR-14 depending on the new configuration of the road through there.