Summer sleeping bag – how warm?

curtveld

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different people sleep at different temps, even given the same insulation.

My theory - get the lightest bag you can find that you can still wear all your clothes in. Dissregard the temp rating, measure actual loft for comparison. A bag that zips open for hot nights, and one that alows you to move the down from the top to the bottom is bonus. Better yet get a bag w/o insulation underneath.

Though pricy, Feathered Friends lifetime NQA guaranted bags are hard to beat.

Normal summer nights, sleep naked.

Durring the monthly summer snow, sleep w/ your clothes.

I'd go with a 20-degree bag. You can always unzip. I have two bags, a synthetic and a down. Both are 20 bags and I have used them in all four seasons. It's all about what jhamaker wrote: you layer to the temperature. I think more about wet vs. dry than anything else.

But then again I'm not the gear whore than Gene Pires is. =)

I use a Feathered Friends Vireo for my summer trips. This bag has kept me warm in the North Cascades in early April, and is comfy on Rainier in the summer. Plus it is light (one pound), packs down to the size of a Nalgene, and comes in groovy water resistant fabrics. Oh yeah, and it's pretty reasonably priced at $230ish.

The trick is that you often need to sleep wearing your insulated jacket, but this creates greater efficiency since you are probably bringing this piece of gear anyway.

I used to have a Western Mountaineering bag, but I wasn't psyched on the way the hood fit, and their fabrics in their ultralight bags feel kind of flimsy. Of all the bags I have, I probably use the Vireo for about 80% of the trips I take in the Cascades.

link to Feathered Friends Vireo

index.jpg

I used to have a Western Mountaineering bag, but I wasn't psyched on the way the hood fit, and their fabrics in their ultralight bags feel kind of flimsy.

WM bags are highly regarded, but I wonder about this too. $300+ is big outlay for something that might not hold up too well. The WM Caribou may be worth a look as is MEC's new Merlin bag.

Edited by curtveld

I've had a Feathered Friends "I forget the model" model summer weight bag for about twenty years. Wonderful bag. Holding up very well. Kept me warm when water bottles froze solid in the tent. Weighs about as much as a bag of potato chips.

Still made domestically in Seattle Area I'm told. Good people, good stuff. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

If you already have a 10 degree bag I would say just get the lightest, most packable bag you can find. Through most of the summer you should be ok with a 40-50+ degree bag, even if it's colder than that if be in a tent or bivy sack and/or sleep in all of your clothes. On cold nights you might shiver a bit, but it could be worse.

Lots of good advice - much appreciated.

Yeah, FF makes a great bag. My warmer bag from them is pushing 15 years and good as new. Their lightweight mummies looked a little on the narrow side. I'm medium sized, but tend to toss and turn.

I went with the slightly wider WM Caribou. A little tougher fabric than the Extreme-lite series and the price wasn't tooooo outrageous. Now I can obsess about the next pressing gear issue. :crosseye:

I used to have a Western Mountaineering bag, but I wasn't psyched on the way the hood fit, and their fabrics in their ultralight bags feel kind of flimsy.

WM bags are highly regarded, but I wonder about this too. $300+ is big outlay for something that might not hold up too well.

The fabric might "look" flimsy, but my WM highlite (16 oz; 35 degree rating) still seems brand new after dozens of nights out and often using it on bare rock with a lightweight pad. I am comfortable in this bag down to freezing temps without a tent when wearing my normal climbing clothes & micropuff pullover. Also the hood fits me better than any other brand, so it probably comes down to whether FF or WM fits you best. You really can't go wrong with either.

I'll throw another vote in for the FF Vireo - my principle summer bag for the fifth year running now. It weighs a pound, packs smaller than a grapefruit, and I've used it below freezing despite its 45 deg rating. It allowed me to do most of my trips with 45 liter pack or smaller.

Good advice all around. To clarify a couple of points mentioned:

1) Yup - still handmade down the street from the shop.

2) For mummy bags: at each temp rating we offer a few different widths (as many as 4)per bag. If your buddy's bag seems too tight, try a wider model for more room.

Cheers, and thanks for you continued support!

- Eddie

curtveld-

In the same family of that Mountain Hardwear 15 degree Phantom is their 32 degree Phantom. I believe it's under 1.5 pounds, and packs down to the size of a nalgene.

I've owned mine for two years, and it's my favorite bag- even seems a bit warm for the rating...and I'm not a warm sleeper ;)

At any rate, my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Chad

I have a big agnes nugget. It's 45deg primaloft fill with pertex endurance shell (waterproof). If you want a bag for warm days that means it might be warm enough to rain or at least provide a very wet snow. If you're going for multiple days, it's nice to have the robustness of a synthetic fill. This is a floorless bag so you save weight there and in the fact that you dont need a bivy sack or a tent. Layered up with my belay jacket I've slept into the 20's just fine.