awesome!

RuMR

right now i'd be happy to have my abilities justify getting my rack out of the garage. 5.14 anything trad is impressive no matter the gender. raindawg, i just want to know what exactly would impress you?

5 months of rehearsal doesn't.

You seem to slag on everything anyone does.

Not so. There is a pattern to my discontent. Much of it involves environmentally dubious "sport-climbing" and secondly, it's stylistic practices, some of which have been incorporated into trad-climbing(e.g. hangdogging, seige-climbing - like the above 5 month exercise ). 5.14 trad crack...nice effort; siege climbing, however, doesn't impress me.

Try Prozac.

Report back.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as usual, you don't provide a direct answer to a direct question.

what would impress you?

i don't give a fuck what doesn't impress you b/c that list is endless.

i think pope impresses dawg in the bedroom...word on the street...

right now i'd be happy to have my abilities justify getting my rack out of the garage. 5.14 anything trad is impressive no matter the gender. raindawg, i just want to know what exactly would impress you?

Not so. There is a pattern to my discontent. Much of it involves environmentally dubious "sport-climbing" and secondly, it's stylistic practices, some of which have been incorporated into trad-climbing(e.g. hangdogging, seige-climbing - like the above 5 month exercise ). 5.14 trad crack...nice effort; siege climbing, however, doesn't impress me.

i can understand how one wouldn't be "impressed" by certain "accomplishments". there's nothing "wrong" with that.

I'm not sure why this would be so offensive to some....

maybe because raindawg seems so dismissive?

but is he dismissive of the act itself, or the excitement the act arouses in others? perhaps it's a little of both....

i am curious as to what "impresses" raindawg, so as to understand him a little better.

maybe nothing "impresses" raindawg? i could see this as a potentially desirable mental state, if it isn't rooted in dismissive judgmental attitudes....

"expect anything, be surprised by nothing."

Raindawg, we'll give you 5 months to practice. Report back on which 5.14+ climb you send. We'll be waiting. :wave:

i could see how this would be the last thing he'd be interested in doing with his life. if it doesn't interest him, it just doesn't.

rehearsal of routes is not a terribly creative act. it could be considered a compulsion even, a neurosis.

SC--

what a dull world if i wasn't impressed by something. i'm not impressed by much but certainly much more than raindawg.

i think the moments in life when you can say "wow, that's amazing" are fantastic. life would be kinda dull w/o them.

I rehearse A LOT.

Still can't do anything to a 14c. It's absolutely amazing to me. Even when I see someone climb something "really hard" in real life, I am astounded. The full majesty of climbing hits me hard anytime I see anyone do something like this.

I simply can't imagine not being blown away by people who perform at such levels.

really- the matter of fact is who cares what this wank stain has to say. most likely he is just some fat fuck, who can barely get his sorry ass up slabby 5.6. his incredible finger strength was developed through rigorous regime of typing endless number of most stupid posts on this forum. i am sure his climbing resume includes several free routes on el cap as well as several 5.14 on sight and gear protected. the truth is that this piece of shit wanker didn't even earn the the stripes to voice his opinion on this topic

Wow! What an impressive display of vulgarity from members of the "climbing community" toward someone who offers a different perspective than the one some of you seem to prefer.

So I think "siege climbing" of this sort is ridiculous...so what! Some of your responses are so over-the-top you should be embarrassed.

There is a pattern to my discontent. Much of it involves environmentally dubious "sport-climbing" and secondly, it's stylistic practices, some of which have been incorporated into trad-climbing(e.g. hangdogging, seige-climbing - like the above 5 month exercise ). 5.14 trad crack...nice effort; siege climbing, however, doesn't impress me.

Jim McCarthy and Rich Goldstone were sieging their hardest leads in the Gunks in the early 1960's, John Stannard sieged the hell out of Foops before getting the FFA in 1967. The horse was out of the barn way before sport climbing came along.

Miriam Underhill in 1957, commenting on the use of pitons to protect the leader during free ascents:

"that is exactly the same climb it was before, only safer. It most definitely is not the same climb. These modern climbers are getting from their pitons an enormous help, without admitting it or, perhaps, even realizing its extent...It is not the same climb, because the piton removes or greatly mitigates the penalty for failure...For even if the modern climber never needs to use these pitons, they are there, removing from his mind a great weight of responsibility."

The interplay of ethics and technology dates to an era well before the widespread use of the expansion bolt.