Are You Better Off Now?

KaskadskyjKozak

I've noticed that Safeway has had expensive eggs lately. Only a few years ago you could regularly get a dozen for $1.

Yogurt's also getting expensive... cheapest I've seen lately is $.60. Used to be $.25 per cup on sale.

I haven't noticed too much increase in my bread (I buy Ezekiel sprouted wheat) or sliced cheese, both of which I buy from TJs.

It's still pretty easy to go cheap on groceries...

50lb of rice is $20, beans are cheap, mirepoix veggies are each under $1/lb at safeway.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about produce? Apples are up to like $2 a pound, and I clearly remember them being more like $1 a pound a few years ago. And I mean the ones on sale, not the most expensive, out of season ones.

organic apples: $1.49 a pound at PCC this evening. I almost always find Org apples at PCC or Whole Foods for a buck fifty or sometimes less.

that's higher than it was a few years ago

cheapest apples i've seen recently is at a fruit stand on beacon hill. i stop when I'm in the area.

I've noticed that Safeway has had expensive eggs lately. Only a few years ago you could regularly get a dozen for $1.

Yogurt's also getting expensive... cheapest I've seen lately is $.60. Used to be $.25 per cup on sale.

I haven't noticed too much increase in my bread (I buy Ezekiel sprouted wheat) or sliced cheese, both of which I buy from TJs.

50lb of rice is $20, beans are cheap, mirepoix veggies are each under $1/lb at safeway.

Grow some of your own veggies. Buy the rest at produce stands. Buy meat in bulk directly from the farmer. Shop at TJ's. Make your own bread. Quit drinking. Avoid processed foods.

You've just cut your food bill to a quarter of what it was.

Grow some of your own veggies. Buy the rest at produce stands. Buy meat in bulk directly from the farmer. Shop at TJ's. Make your own bread. Quit drinking. Avoid processed foods.

Quit drinking. :noway:

Ive been employed at the same places anywhere between 7 and 14yrs, with occassional time off to see if other work would be more profitable.

Ropes Course work - no increase in pay for 5yrs (im at the highest pay on the scale). Same driving distance. I now spend more than twice as much on gas to get to work. Unfortunately there are no bus or trains. Only occassionally is carpooling an option because so many of us go to other jobs. There is also less work because so many of our groups come from schools and other nonprofits. Due to budget cuts, most organizations cut us out first. This has been very evident since 9/11.

Bartending - There are not as many concerts because of the bundling of bands for shows at bigger venues (ie/stadiums). Ticket prices have gone from an average of 10-15 bucks to 20-25. Even last night for "Clutch" I believe it was $20!!!! Beer prices have skyrocketed. The same beer 5yrs ago which cost $4 is now $7.50/8, leaving less money in the customers pocket to tip me. When I used to easily be able to walk out of there with $200-$300 on a busy night, I feel lucky when I can leave with $100 or so.

Gear Shop - Havent seen a raise in 4 yrs and doubt I will. Though strangely it does seem like the store is doing well and people ARE buying recreational gear.

I used to live off of my ropes course job (rent, food, gas, etc).

Gear Shop was to buy climbing equipment.

Bartending was extra money for trips, novelties, car repairs, and savings. I remember a time when I was just bartending and could live off of working 3 days a week and have plenty of extra money to spare.

Now I am on a strict budget. I eat what is on sale at the grocery store rather than what I necessarily like. If I have used my alloted amount for gas during the week to go to work, then I cant drive far or even climb on the weekend. Its definately cut down on my weekday rondevous climbing random places in the city. Bartending and the gear shop are needed now to pay my bills. I need a new pair of rock shoes desperately but those have to wait until I have "extra" money. Something I dont see in the near future. I work 6 days a week just to make ends meet at the moment.

Am I better off? Well, somehow I manage to get my bills paid. I would definately say my stress level regarding finances and my quality of life due to lack of free time to enjoy life doesnt make me better off.

Dru was right though - Higher prices = conservation. This has really taught me how to pinch pennies and see how unneccesary some things are. I believe if we ever get back to a booming economy (where my income is affected in a positive way) I will have a much easier time saving money.

I have to second the motion to shop at Trader Joe's- personally I like a lot of their proprietory products (though I don't like their produce- often sold in bulk-). TJ's prices are at times hard to believe compared to other stores. If shopping carefully, you can cover yourself for a week with $40. The best value there without a doubt is their wine- and I'm not talking Charles Shaw (which ain't too bad...). There are good Chilean/Argentinean and Spanish wines for $4-$7, that taste like something you'd pay $15 for elsewhere.

I'm better off, FW, but not because of anything the gov't has done for us; more like some luck, some good timing, and a good place of employment. But having said that, I also notice that paychecks just don't go as far as they used to; the main problem now is that without some severe cutbacks to my lifestyle, putting away money for savings is pretty much impossible compared to 4 years ago.

We're UNDER SIEGE!

Edited by StevenSeagal

Yes but you've cut your disposable time in half, as always it's a tradeoff.

Mrs. Selkirk and I are better off, but through no help from the economy/government. Getting out of grad school and getting a good private sector job made all the difference. Pretty easy to double your income from a grad school pittance :P

Yes but you've cut your disposable time in half, as always it's a tradeoff.

Mrs. Selkirk and I are better off, but through no help from the economy/government. Getting out of grad school and getting a good private sector job made all the difference. Pretty easy to double your income from a grad school pittance :P

3 points:

1) doing the above takes no more time than what you're doing now (once your garden is up and running). That's a complete myth. You walk out your door to get your salad, rather than spending 30-45 minutes going the the store. And I don't know about you, but I hate going to the grocery store, and love walking through the garden, so my quality of how I spend my time is better. When you do go to the store, you're buying 1/4 of what you were before, so your shopping sprees are really quick. Your meat order takes one phone call and one pick up a year, rather than 60 or more trips down the meat isle. And, hey, no mornings wasted on hangovers.

2) Eating healthier is worth putting a little time and effort into.

3) The myth that Americans are short on time is just that. The average American watches 17 hours of TV a week. Case closed.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Than 4 years ago? Reagan's a propos question..

to answer your question: yes. very much so.

it has little to do with gw and the policy changes he has brought (although privatization can theoretically help my business). it has more to do with following my inspiration, and a lot of perseverance. inflationary pressures are quite secondary at this stage.

having said that, i feel empathy for anyone feeling pressure and stress due to economic uncertainty and the structural governmental and business changes endemic in our society nowadays.

Yes, I'm better off and so are just about all of us.

People have an amazing tendency towards myopia, along with a short memory. Four years ago was a damn long time. Just look at iPod from four years ago vs. today. Look at what you can get in computing power. Look at the growth in GDP over the past four years, or the growth in employment.

I just bought a new SUV to replace my truck that died. The new car cost a little more than my old truck, but the gas mileage is slightly better, the horsepower is up 50%, there's eight real seats, a DVD player, GPS nav, etc. I mean you can't even compare the quality of the two vehicles.

Things just keep getting better all the time...