• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
grandpa

Better Bootlace Knot?

Is there a better bootlace knot (other than the one that I've been tying for the past 50 years) that doesn't loosen up?

thanks,

A heck of a lot of people have tied "granny bowknots" their entire lives and don't know it. A granny will untie itself a lot more than a proper square bowknot.

dood...i read your post on the job sitch and just couldn't bring myself to rip you...man, i just don't know what i'd do in your situation...best of luck to you...

I think i'll go bash tvash...yeah...that'll make me feel better...where is that fat fuck anyway??

I think this raises a great question of why we tie our shoes with different knots than we use to tie our ropes. Why don't we use a European death knot to tie our shoes?

There is a granny knot version of the classic bow and a square/reef knot version. I only recently noticed this and have be reprogramming myself to tie it properly.

I think this raises a great question of why we tie our shoes with different knots than we use to tie our ropes. Why don't we use a European death knot to tie our shoes?

on the shortbus you were only allowed velcro shoes, that's why

windowlicker

If you have that little loop on the tongue of your shoe, and were wondering what it was for, you use a baby pearabiner and tie a munter/mule on each end of the protruding laces. Just so you know.

:lmao:

don't forget the backup overhand

Edited by rob

SO grandpa, the posts about checkin the knot are right on. It should be what the marine world calls "a square knot made slippery" which is sailor speak for tying a square knot but pulling a bight on the last pass instead of the end.

One thing not mentioned yet is to check the laces. In a misguided effort to reduce weight some of the manufactures used a polypropalene lace or some other equally unsuitable bit of trash. These will just about untie themselves. Make sure you have good laces and not some of the lightweight plastic bits of trash and you may find they stay tied much better.

I have a set of 5.10 approach shoes with weird "ridgey" laces that are supposed to stay tied, but they don't, they're too slippery.

I tie a regular bow knot, but I wrap the second loop through the hole twice. The extra friction does an awesome job of keeping them from untying.

why don't you just tie an overhand with the loops after completing a finished Bow? This "double ties" the knot. I also just tuck my shoelaces that are floppin about into the top of my boot if the laces are long.

I do the standard shoelace knot with extra twist in the starting knot ending with a double knot. Also when waterproofing the boots I do the laces too. It keeps the laces from getting saturated, freezing and the added friction keeps the knots tight.