Deep thoughts....by jack handy

kevbone

Why does climbing have to be so ego driven? It seems everything is about putting up big numbers no matter what the discipline is…….and then talking about it……don’t get me wrong…..I have an ego as well.

I have found that I am getting farther away from climbing all the time and closer to parenting that……..

Its not about the send itself……..it’s about the attempt! For me at least.

There is nothing better than hiking out to your car after a great day of climbing. Thinking about your last attempt on your project or onsight.,….thinking about every move and every clip or piece and how you were about to rip off the wall……yet you fought through it in your mind and found a better rest and kept moving up the wall until you send…….

Even if I did not get the send……as long as I gave it my all why trying….I am happy as a clam.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But kevbone, who is going to support the insecurity industry if we learn to stop measuring our self-worth by comparison to how hard other people can climb? Who is going to buy all of the magazines, videos, tiny ropes, 1-month-sole rock shoes, and gym memberships if people realize that the only relevant difference (if any) between 5.X and 5.Y is how enjoyable it is for whoever happens to be climbing?

Me too Kev. I think that is why I like that part where the Swiss guy looks over to Johnathan in the Eiger Sanction and knowing they will not live says "I think I have liked climbing with you very much", or something like that.

I like that feeling where your and a buddy have flown up a wall like 2 birds, screaming up with minimal disturbances or discourse, but in harmony nonetheless, as the challenges get knocked off one by one. Like a flock of birds that seem just know the way the other birds will fly without bumping into each other.

There is the element of athleticism and strength (numbers), yet the mental strategy, complexity of the technical issues (belaying, anchoring etc), fear of the unknown, and challenge of the route(s) are not ever lost or forgotten. An undercurrent feeling of trust and harmony exists between partners.

Thats a good day for me.

Like the process as much as the summit I think.

If You just climb for numbers I think for the most part You wont be climbing long. Unless You must to keep the people who pay for you to climb happy. The avarage Joe-blow who still climbs after reaching there max number what ever it is, climb for the Love of it. You cant rate Your self worth by what the Media pushes on you or what others do or say. To many people worry about what others think about them and allow that to be the driving force in there lives....and climbs

Climb for the moment, Enjoy the Stone, Remember the Day

That's it Sobo, great exchange, and it just seemed so...so...spot on the money.

"But we shall continue with style" ...good stuff, I'd have tied in with that dude any day. That whole climb, he was the one I connected to the most. He was the most considerate of the others throughout. He'd be the dude I'd want as a partner.

i have never been a great climber. and it pisses me off that i can't even climb as hard now as i did 3 years ago. fuck i can't even open a jar of spageti sauce right now. it is humilating to have to ask for help like that. that said, i went to the gym and climbed today... felt damn good to make it to the top on a 5.8. it wasn't a hard 5.8 and it could have been called Bob for all i care... it just felt good to climb to the top.

Two of the best things my father ever told me were ....

"the most competitive people are only ever competing with themselves"

and

"Do not judge yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you have accomplished given your ability."

The second ones a bitch, but has been a hella of a motivator my whole life.

For me it's always been about a good day out with good people, and the feeling of succeeding at something that was near my limits, and I really had to fight for. Unless your making a living off of them climbing numbers don't count for much.

Looking back at my own climbing, many of the very best days were when I did not summit/finish or just doing a long easy route. More about the journey and "embracing the rock", as I like to call it. Still, it is always nice to put up a higher number than you have before. I use to really envy getting some newbie started, only to have them climbing 5.11 in short order. Now that I am getting older, I'm just glad to see them getting better. Maybe someday, I can bag another 5.11 or 2.

Looking back at my own climbing, many of the very best days were when I did not summit/finish or just doing a long easy route. More about the journey and "embracing the rock", as I like to call it. Still, it is always nice to put up a higher number than you have before. I use to really envy getting some newbie started, only to have them climbing 5.11 in short order. Now that I am getting older, I'm just glad to see them getting better. Maybe someday, I can bag another 5.11 or 2.

thats my plan after i retire.... when i can realy focus on climbing.;)

I don't think that climbing harder grades is all about ego. The great thing about climbing, I think, is that no matter how good you think you are there will always be something that you know you can't do, and when you pull of something that you weren't sure that you could do its a pretty neat feeling. My most vivid climbing memories are of times when I finally reached the top of a "hard" pitch or summits and just get to relax and enjoy the view. I can't get that feeling these days unless I really push myself. Last summer I got a similar feeling reaching the summit of Slesse or the end of the Gunsight Traverse as I got the first time I got to the summit of Liberty Bell by the Beckey Route. I'm not saying that easier routes aren't fun anymore, but they are a different kind of experience.

It's like what I told my friend about ice climbing: its a much different kind of fun than climbing good rock on a warm summer day.