Goodbye

layton

After 10 years living in the Pacific Northwest, I feel that it's finally time for me to move on. I don't know when I'll be back, although I feel somehow I'll wind up here again sometime in my life - be it sooner or much later. I'm most likely moving to Salt Lake City where I can be closer to better weather and climbing. My biggest reason for leaving is that I just don't feel like I'm home here anymore.

Hopefully I've added something to this website, and to the local climbing scene. Maybe someone will use a TR or two that I've posted to help them climb something they wouldn't have before.

I put 3 weeks notice in to my job this monday, and my last day officially here will be November 14th. I must admit that I'm terrified to move, but I feel that it's in my best interest. I don't know many people in SLC, so I'd love to hear from you if you live there or know someone who you think I'd be friends with there.

I've met so many of you in person, this website has been like family to me. I will honestly and sincerely DEEPLY miss the cascades and more so, my friends I've met here over the years.

Thank you Jon and Timmay! for this great website, where one can not only get great beta, but speak freely and disagree about everything under the sun. I'll still be checking in and posting for sure.

Maybe I'll call this place home once more. The Cascades will always be where I belong in my heart and soul.

Much love and fondness,

Mike Layton

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 10 years living in the Pacific Northwest, I feel that it's finally time for me to move on. I don't know when I'll be back, although I feel somehow I'll wind up here again sometime in my life - be it sooner or much later. I'm most likely moving to Salt Lake City where I can be closer to better weather and climbing. My biggest reason for leaving is that I just don't feel like I'm home here anymore.

Hopefully I've added something to this website, and to the local climbing scene. Maybe someone will use a TR or two that I've posted to help them climb something they wouldn't have before.

I put 3 weeks notice in to my job this monday, and my last day officially here will be November 14th. I must admit that I'm terrified to move, but I feel that it's in my best interest. I don't know many people in SLC, so I'd love to hear from you if you live there or know someone who you think I'd be friends with there.

I've met so many of you in person, this website has been like family to me. I will honestly and sincerely DEEPLY miss the cascades and more so, my friends I've met here over the years.

Thank you Jon and Timmay! for this great website, where one can not only get great beta, but speak freely and disagree about everything under the sun. I'll still be checking in and posting for sure.

Maybe I'll call this place home once more. The Cascades will always be where I belong in my heart and soul.

Much love and fondness,

Mike Layton

Its not like you have to live in the NW to post here. Are you saying goodye to the site as well?

Cheers.

Might not be the kind of thing that either have the desire or the energy to share after a farewell post, but is this the accumulation of specific things that you can put your finger on, or is it just kind of an instinctive thing?

I know you've moved around a bit, but there's a bit of truth to the slogan-on-a-dreamcatcher-themed-kitchen-magnet-esque notion that changing your surroundings doesn't matter as much as changing what's going on inside your head, at least in my experience.

A change in your circumstances can potentially catalyze a lot of positive things on its own, but IMO if you just go for a change of scene and leave it at that you're quite a bit more likely to be disappointed by the outcome, and will find yourself dealing with a lot of the same stuff that you left behind.

At the very least, if you move away and find yourself drawn back, you'll know that the PNW is where you belong.

It was nice to meet you out there. On the few times that we ran into each other, I always thought you were a cool guy to be around, funny as hell, and inspiring with your passion every kind of climbing, and just getting out there. Hopefully that has or will carry over into other dimensions of your life. I also always dug the TR's.

Can't quite resist the temptation to end this with...

Cheers!

Hopefully I'll run into you again at some point.

Also - I think that guy Freeclimb9 that used to post here a long time ago lives in or around SLC. Seemed like a cool guy from his posts? What about Thad of Thadsboner/"I Love Mormon Pussy!" Sticker-on-Helmet fame. Isn't he out in SLC?

Other ideas are Warren Jeffs and/or Orin Hatch.

Also - if you move to SLC you should really, really take up skiing and or boarding in a big way. Living in SLC and not skiing is like living in Hawaii and not surfing.

mormon pussy rules. great dining, great skiing, great climbing. the sugar house area seems to be the hip hip hippie area where you will meet like minded people very gloomy in the winter because of the conversion, you will feel right at home.

Edited by pink

Might not be the kind of thing that either have the desire or the energy to share after a farewell post, but is this the accumulation of specific things that you can put your finger on, or is it just kind of an instinctive thing?

I know you've moved around a bit, but there's a bit of truth to the slogan-on-a-dreamcatcher-themed-kitchen-magnet-esque notion that changing your surroundings doesn't matter as much as changing what's going on inside your head, at least in my experience.

A change in your circumstances can potentially catalyze a lot of positive things on its own, but IMO if you just go for a change of scene and leave it at that you're quite a bit more likely to be disappointed by the outcome, and will find yourself dealing with a lot of the same stuff that you left behind.

At the very least, if you move away and find yourself drawn back, you'll know that the PNW is where you belong.

It was nice to meet you out there. On the few times that we ran into each other, I always thought you were a cool guy to be around, funny as hell, and inspiring with your passion every kind of climbing, and just getting out there. Hopefully that has or will carry over into other dimensions of your life. I also always dug the TR's.

Can't quite resist the temptation to end this with...

Cheers!

Hopefully I'll run into you again at some point.

A friend of mine likes to sum up that sentiment as, "Wherever you go, there you are."

So true.

But let's face it, winter in the PNW is miserable for people who would rather be outside. Rock climbing in 45-degree rain? Mountains that are socked in for weeks? Very mediocre lift skiing in heavy snow and fog? Ice climbing at 32 degrees? There's not much to recommend but coffee and the Vertical World. I would definitely snow-bird my way out of here every winter, if it weren't for my obligations. Thank God for mountain bikes.

Dude! If I had to move somewhere it would be SLC.

I get down there at least a couple times a year, but for me it's to visit friends and hit the powder.

If I ever get really into rock, then I'd love to meet up with you up in Little Cottonwood.

If not, make sure folks have some contact info, we'll grab a beer at the Bayou! BEERVANA!!

Good luck my man!

But let's face it, winter in the PNW is miserable for people who would rather be outside. Rock climbing in 45-degree rain? Mountains that are socked in for weeks? Very mediocre lift skiing in heavy snow and fog? Ice climbing at 32 degrees? There's not much to recommend but coffee and the Vertical World. I would definitely snow-bird my way out of here every winter, if it weren't for my obligations. Thank God for mountain bikes.

I took up kayaking to take advantage of those very times. Most of the time the boating is primo when everything else sucks. However, if you don't have that kind of outlet during the times when the temps and the moisture aren't conducive to skiing or climbing, then things can be pretty bleak.

I could not possibly disagree more about the skiing, and I've logged a fair number of days on the slopes outside of the Cascades. I love hitting Crystal when it's puking, socked in, and there's hardly anyone else on the lifts, and it only gets better when things clear up a bit.

Hey Michael,

Drop us a note when you land.

Like it or not, yur wun of us.

Of all the places I haven't lived inside the US, SLC is one of the top 5 I wish I had. You will love it. Just make sure you find the anti Mormons. Climb Bridal Veil falls. Ski chest deep powder. Write a TR.

Bug