Excel Geek Question

JayB

Is there any way to use the autofill function to drag a formula from one cell to the next in a way that keeps one of the cells referenced in the formula constant?

In other words, if I have a bunch of cells that I want to subtract the value of cell A1 from, is there a way to use the autofill function so that I get:

B2-A1, C2-A1, D2-A1, etc. instead of B2-A1, C2-A2, D2-A3, etc when I try to drag the formula from one cell to another?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the formula put a "$" before the value you want to remain static. E.g. if you want to keep the row static A$1, column static $A1, both static $A$1.

whoa!! geeks popping out of the woodwork. Like whack a mole!

Edited by chucK

Here's another way. Click in A1, then "insert","name" and "define". In the "names in the window" line type "k" and click OK. Back in A1, type the value that you want. Enter your data in column B, then in C1 type " = B1-k " (no quotes). Then drag the corner of B1 down.

I wish I knew a lot more about the program. It seems there's nothing it can't do.

afaik, ctrl-f3 calls the "name" definition window, or if the appropriate cell is active, you can type in a name in the left side of the formula bar. If you want to make a cell absolute, you should be able to just hit f4 when the cell is active. First f4, $a$1, second, $a1, third a$1 and fourth a1. That's off the top of my head.

You should name things the right name. Do not use something like average, or mean, or any other function name or single letter that might create confusion.

MatLab is good for some stuff, STATA is good for others, coding is good for others, and excel is great for a simple GUI that people who shouldn't be allowed near those other systems or the data. :)