i have to quit sugar

sk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time not too long ago where I would probably drink a 2 liter of Coke during the day. I wasn't fat but I certainly wasn't lean, and who knows what damage I've done to my endocrine system. I think that worked out to 200 grams of HFCS a day. So that works out to about 800 calories a day of just sugar. I think the theoretical number I've seen throw around is that you have to reduce your caloric intake 500 cals. a day to lose 1 pound per week.

Here is another interesting way to look at it. The averaged size male has approx. 4 liters of blood in his body. Do you know how much sugar (glucose) is in the blood stream? 5 grams total. There is only 46 grams of sugar in the body total. So in one day I'd drink about 5 times amount of sugar that was stored in my body.

With the exception of the the occasional cookie or gatoraid I don't consume any sugar. Quiting is hard but can easily be done, and you'll notice that you have a more even energy level throughout the day.

Thanks for the info all. How much weight did you lose Jon?

BTW, that book John F recommended is on the way to my house. You can borrow it Muff. I was in Red rocks couple of days ago and was suffering, need to lose the man-boobs but I've never "dieted" before. I'll try the tnt thing too and see how the winter goes.

BTW, that book John F recommended is on the way to my house. You can borrow it Muff. I was in Red rocks couple of days ago and was suffering, need to lose the man-boobs but I've never "dieted" before. I'll try the tnt thing too and see how the winter goes.

Bill you totaly RULE!!! let me know how the Zone thing works.... maybe i can try it a little bit if it isn't too bad.

the issue that i have with dieting is that it often triggers an anorexic episode for me. I have them when i am MAJORLY stressed out too. then i lose way too much weight and can't eat...

*sigh*

who knew happy medium would be such a challenge :wazup:

Bill you totaly RULE!!! let me know how the Zone thing works.... maybe i can try it a little bit if it isn't too bad.

the issue that i have with dieting is that it often triggers an anorexic episode for me. I have them when i am MAJORLY stressed out too. then i lose way too much weight and can't eat...

*sigh*

who knew happy medium would be such a challenge :wazup:

Only the Taoists and Buddhists :P

Dieting is bad though, implies a short term I want to loose X lbs thing and that never does any good. I think everyone on here is more talking a lifestyle change. One day at a time!

How's it going so far Muffy?

I think that depends on how you define diet selkirk.

Fundamentally a diet is the food and drink regularly consumed... basically we are all on a diet. Each of our diets is different as we consume different percentages of carbs, protein and fats on a daily basis.

The zone diet encourages a ratio of these three and then depending on your fitness/health goals allows you to scale it up or down depending on if you want to lose or gain weight.

The zone diet is more an approach to daily nutrition and healthy living and not a quick fix for body weight (though it turns out most people lose weight on it).

i did have pie yesterday, but only one slice and i was done there. i didn't even really crave any more than that. one day at a time.

i prefer to think of what i consume every day as nutrition. I don't like the word diet as it has a terrible conotation for me. diet is waht people do to lose weight or to obtain a goal of some kind. nutrition is what i pay attention to, to fuel and heal my body. when you diet you drprive yourself of somethign. when you eat nutritionaly there are no foods that are off limits or that you can not have. you just recognize that there or physical consequences for everything you ingest. some things make you feel better than others. i am not interested in forcing my body into what someone else says is the ideal. i am only interested in being the best most healthy me i can be. that requires me to listen to what my body says about foods, not what a book says about food. all diets have some good idea. but no one diet is the perfect solution for every person.

to every action there is an equal and opposit reaction there are obese unhealthy people and there are underweight fitness adicts both do the same kind of harm to their bodies. the difference is one is socialy acceptable and one is not. extremeism is extremeism. same coin different sides.

OK, Muffy,

the first thing you need to know about sugar "addiction" is that it really does correspond to a brain event. The reason people get sugar cravings, is because your brain is not getting what it needs to sustain its energy demands. Because the brain only uses glucose for energy, whenever glucose is low the first thing the brain does is send out a chemical message to your pancreas to release the hormone glucagon - which makes you feel HUNGRY. This is a normal and healthy thing.

Where it gets complicated: when people eat a diet that is low in nutrition (nutrition is NOT only calories) the brain can go into a constant starvation state even though the daily intake of calories exceeds metabolic rate. When your brain always thinks it is starving, the first CRAVING it [creates] is for simple sugars - the fastest and easiest way to get glucose. So begins the vicious cycle: you plow into some sugar and give your brain some relief. Then, 20 minutes later, because sugar is so rapidly metabolized, you get the same craving all over again and end up consuming way more calories than you are burning. Hence weight gain. The only way to beat this cycle is to supply your body with ample quality nutrition, and get more exercise -which drastically improves HOW you use what you eat.

What is interesting to me, is that the brain truly is the master controller of the whole body. Whenever one chemical is off balance, it compensates by off balancing something else! One interesting example, is that after a heavy workout and you've broken down a lot of muscle tissue, the brain lowers the amount of insulin cycling in the blood. It does this because if insulin remained high, the brain would have to compete with your damaged muscles for glucose (since insulin is responsible for pulling sugar into cells). The reason that is not good, is because if the brain fails to get enough glucose, well, shit starts to die! This is partially why post workout nutrition is so important.

At any rate, if you want to lower your intake of sugar, which should lower your total calories and help you lose weight, eat a balanced diet that is rich in vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. And don't forget to make EXERCISE a ***PRIORITY*** - just like you do your job and taking care of your munchkins!

How are you doing, anyway? I haven't chatted with ya in some time!

Any books or authors you'd reccommend - or reject - on nutrition, sports nutrition, especially geard toward athletes and laymen? All of the training books I've read (mainly distance running and marathoning and weight training) all have chapters on weight loss and nutrition and such, but they all just scratch the surface and say similar things. Maybe a topic for another thread but... Just askin'

Hey, yeah, actually "The Swartzbein Principle" is a fantastic book. The lady who wrote it is SUPER SMART, and is an endocrinologist that specializes in metabolic disorders. In my opinion she is one of the very few book writers that actually emphasizes BALANCE over some ridiculous fad diet. After you read her book (there is actually two books) you'll never look at nutrition the same. You'll limit your intake of simple carbs to times around exercise, and eat a lot more total FAT (including saturated) whole grains, and LEAN PROTEIN. Trust me on this one.

Also, you can find a TON of nutrition info. on PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

These are all peer reviewed studies, and you can search for the most up to date literature. You have to enjoy scientific reading though.

As for stuff to reject, I'd say this: reject 99.9% of everything you read in these self help books (but not Swartzbein). Realize that humans have been evolving for millions of years, and our physiology knows what to do. Just eat WHOLE FOODS, meaning stay away from anything man-made, including refined sugar and hydrogenated oils, and get A LOT of exercise. Be intuitive. Your body knows what to do. Oh, and throw out your bathroom scale. It is a useless piece of crap that just feeds America's eating disorder problem.

I think that depends on how you define diet selkirk.

Lots of words have come to connotate things different then their dictionary definition, and "Diet" is one of them.

The language we use has power to shape our perceptions and our responses. To say diet to a nutritionist is one thing. To say diet to someone has very fundamental issues with food is completely different.

Nevermind, Muffy beat me to the smack down.

Hey, yeah, actually "The Swartzbein Principle" is a fantastic book. The lady who wrote it is SUPER SMART, and is an endocrinologist that specializes in metabolic disorders. In my opinion she is one of the very few book writers that actually emphasizes BALANCE over some ridiculous fad diet. After you read her book (there is actually two books) you'll never look at nutrition the same. You'll limit your intake of simple carbs to times around exercise, and eat a lot more total FAT (including saturated) whole grains, and LEAN PROTEIN. Trust me on this one.

These are all peer reviewed studies, and you can search for the most up to date literature. You have to enjoy scientific reading though.

As for stuff to reject, I'd say this: reject 99.9% of everything you read in these self help books (but not Swartzbein). Realize that humans have been evolving for millions of years, and our physiology knows what to do. Just eat WHOLE FOODS, meaning stay away from anything man-made, including refined sugar and hydrogenated oils, and get A LOT of exercise. Be intuitive. Your body knows what to do. Oh, and throw out your bathroom scale. It is a useless piece of crap that just feeds America's eating disorder problem.

Cool. Yeah, my current style is just eat everything raw, except pasta. No processed foods, and few cooked foods, other than the occasional meats, on special occasions. I've never even owned a scale. Exercise - plenty. Running, weight training, climbing, snowshoeing, etc... I'm just wondering if my nutrition is keeping up with my lifestyle and my energy output, and if it's going to be adequate when I start training for another marathon a couple of months from now. I was overweight during my last marathon. Now I'm "normal", but I'm wondering if I'm eating enough of everything and eating right. When my training goes up, I do sense sugar cravings, and I blame it on lack of proper nutrition. I know I don't eat enough fruit (plenty of veggies, though), and have been making myself eat more lately - at least one piece a day, anyway. Just not too fond of fruit. Mainly veggies, seeds, yogurt, nuts, grains, milk, and pasta. (And plenty of coffee.) I'll check out the site and the author.

Wow, great fucking advice. "HEY, here is a SITE with hundreds of THOUSANDS of articles that MOST of which you WON'T understand that you can READ"

I wonder if i_like_tospray can find on that site that paper that shows that excessive typing is a result of low levels of STFU-1 which has been found to be a trans-acting agonist to EAD-2.