Monogamy?

rob

clearly monogamy is against human nature. we need polygamy. it seems to work well in Utah.

Some anthropologist I read about in college was interviewing a manwho had 4 wives.he interviewer asked the man how he liked having 4 wives. He asked the interviewer if he was married. "Yes". "How is that going?" "Oh pretty good I guess." "So there are some problems?" "Yes. A few." "Multiply that by four. How much free time do you have left now?"

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember who made the comment about marriage being a decision that you make everyday. I call bullshit on that one. You already made that decision when you said that you agreed to stay by that other persons side forever. No more decisions are valid after that promise.

Love and having a successful marriage are decisions you make every day.

So to the original question:

Do you think monogamy is a natural state of affairs for humans?

3000 years of Western Civilization is no match for millions of years of evolution. Sustained monogamy presents an obvious evolutionary penalty. Genetic adaptability is directly related to the frequency of, shall we say, horizontal gene transfer 8D within the population. Bonobos and chimps, our closest primate relatives, are opportunistic breeders, like most if not all successful species. So I think it is obvious what is natural.

[Creationists, refer instead to your Bible.]

But being the decadent humans we have become of late, we are in a unique situation where the natural pressures of survival are so absent that we now dedicate ourselves entirely to self-gratification. Clearly that is the true question being debated here: what is best for our fragile little egos? Aside from this I don't think there is anything 'natural' left to be debated. There is at most the consideration of what is amenable to a healthy, civilized society.

Kids do not require exactly 1 man and 1 woman to be raised properly. They require at least 10 men, 10 women, 10 boys, and 10 girls. Most of these influences come from extended families, social groups, and collective education. Others kids get it from television and music (shudder). The idea of the biblical nuclear family may have been perfectly superimposable on the sparsely-populated frontier at the dawn of westward expansion, but it's archaic in the context the highly socialized environment that most humans live in now. Children can now draw upon the support and influence an entire civilization.

Personally, as a child I got 4+ parent figures and double the extended family as the result of a divorce of a three-year marriage, and I am quite grateful for this, actually...

I need polyandry.

that would be interesting but i don't think it would work for me. I like girls too much.

one of each please..

is there a name for that???

i do think that monogamy is possible in a poly relationship. i think the difference between monogamy and cheating is in the lying. the trick is to have an open and trusting enough relationship to be able to share that kind of honesty and commitment to each other. i have seen it work and i have seen it fail miserably. but then i have seen "normal" relationships work and fail miserably. so in the end it is not how you have a relationship that counts, it is the person or people you chose to have relationships with, and your ability to grow and explore and be honest together.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

I need polyandry.

just make sure all of your partners are aware of this in advance.

now if you could just find a bunch of sub, wrestling Italians with 10" cocks you'd be set...

Sounds like this requires a lot of planning. Should I also tell partners in advance that my intent is to continue all my postings on sex\dating sites, continue screwing my odelisks, and fuck an ex or two?

Or, as some of us say, "Reality"

I thought polyamory was a word meaning loving more than one....

I want a new word to describe my desire... looks like i need to make one up :D

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer