• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Grizz42

Good Class 3 to 4 Peaks?

I'm aiming to get out this weekend and do some climbing but I am fairly new to the area. Are there some good class 3 to 4 climbs within a day or two of a road that would be doable this weekend? Thanks for the advice.

Kaleetan Peak up the I-90 corridor. Arrowhead off Hwy 2. Maybe Three Fingers off the Mountain Loop. Lane Peak in the Tatoosh for a down south option. Anyway, a couple of ideas for ya.

New to the area? You'll absolutely LOVE Jack Mountain off Hwy 20...(heh heh)...

Oh yeah?

Thanks for the advice, it's a great start

New to the area? You'll absolutely LOVE Jack Mountain off Hwy 20...(heh heh)...

Oh yeah?

Thanks for the advice, it's a great start

Some peaks I like: Del Campo (class 4 stuff, you'll need an ice axe this time of year) and Gothic Peak (class 3), Hi Box (class 3).

Try these books for descriptions and ideas:

Selected climbs in the Cascades:

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Climbs-Cascades-Jim-Nelson/dp/0898867673/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/104-1732635-5415159

becky Guide (there are 3 in the series)

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Alpine-Guide-Climbing-Stevens/dp/0898868386/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1732635-5415159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193342706&sr=1-1

Probably too late by now, but I would second Lane, also the Castle (in the Tatoosh too). Helena Peak. Sahale, actually, I think that is low fifth, only like 50 ft and it's like 5.0. Hope it helps.

Some peaks I like: Del Campo (class 4 stuff, you'll need an ice axe this time of year) and Gothic Peak (class 3), Hi Box (class 3).

Try these books for descriptions and ideas:

Selected climbs in the Cascades:

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Climbs-Cascades-Jim-Nelson/dp/0898867673/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/104-1732635-5415159

becky Guide (there are 3 in the series)

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Alpine-Guide-Climbing-Stevens/dp/0898868386/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1732635-5415159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193342706&sr=1-1

do you know of any books with just class 3, or easy class 4 to take a group of you men on?

love that peak (in summer), but some of that scrambling could be sketch with snow on the north face....same thing with the boulder field on the approach.

I'm aiming to get out this weekend and do some climbing but I am fairly new to the area. Are there some good class 3 to 4 climbs within a day or two of a road that would be doable this weekend? Thanks for the advice.

Vesper Peak

Hidden lake peak might be pretty fun....not sure about the snow up there though.

5 mile road walk to the trailhead, yuck :tdown:

Hidden lake peak might be pretty fun....not sure about the snow up there though.

washout or snow?

I was up at Sno Pass earlier this week (the nice day!) and there's a bunch of snow already, but not enough to make travel easier. That is, 4" - 2'. Anything requiring a boulder-field traverse with that kind of coverage would be harrowing right now. If you've got some 4th class climbing to do, make sure it's on South facing rock.

Obviously snow cover will vary depending on location, but all those lovely Snoqualmie Pass 3rd and 4th class jaunts are a little out of condition at the moment. Though it did precipitate again on Wed, and now the temps are much colder....

washout or snow?

washout

Mt. bike into the Monte Cristo area and you'll have access to Monte Cristo, Columbia, etc. Skip Cadet; it sucks. From Hwy 2 you can get up Keyes in the same range.

Frisco, Corteo off of Hwy 20.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

North twin sister up by bellingham is a great 4th class climb with some killer views. The north buttress on Colchuck peak is also a really enjoyable route in the 3rd/4th range. Both can be done in a reasonable day. Sahale is good to, and I hear there's a nice route on Mix-up peak, though I haven't done that one.