Packing d#@m snowshoes/Middle Sister

Torin

You would think that after time spent in the mountains, I would have figured this out but I wanted to query for any advice. I hate lashing my snowshoes to my pack when hiking in from lower elevations-I have used bungee cords, expletives in 30 different languages, straps, etc. but they still bang around and never seem totally secure until on my feet. Does anyone have a better storage system/advice? Also, any route suggestions for Middle Sister from the East-my climbing partner has some okay experience (early intermediate, I guess) and have been trying to figure out a reasonably challenging but not overwhelming route choice. Thanks, Torin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lash them the best you can, or buy skiis or a splitboard.

At this moment the only safe routes up Middle would be the N. or S. Ridge. We received a significant amount of snow in the last 2 days, i would expect at least a foot of new snow.

I remember the days with snowshoes. Those were tbe best of times, or so I thought. Get skis and never look back. Well ok look back at all the suckers using snowshoes. I have an old Osprey ceres 50 and I could stuff them into the front pocket. Mine came with a rubber band us that to bind them together, then us straps looped in some fashon through the slowshoes and through attachment point on your backpack, crampon pouch. I have see people put them on top of thier pack under the top lid and use the lid to hold them on.

Jlag, the time is near. One or two more storms like this and it is game on!!!!

I've only carried snowshoes while backcountry snowboarding and used the same system for the board as the shoes. Never had a problem. I was using MSR Denalis which lock together pretty well sole to sole. One strap through the binding hole and one around the bottoms held them fine. This was with a Dakine snowboard pack. Forget bungee cords; use compression style straps. Retighten them after walking for a bit and everything has settled.

I'm putting together an AT setup this winter. Way more efficient.

I think it behooves me to comment. The long awaited cilogear pouches are out of testing and in production. I am flying over there on Wednesday, and will be bringing them back with me.

They carry snowboards and snowshoes with aplomb, keeping them slightly away from plumb, and under tight control... The below picture is of a snowboard, but I'll find one of the darn thing with snowshoes...

side%20view%2C%20empty%20pack.jpg

snow shoes are critical to big stupid fools like me that can't ski & are a menace to everything between the heavens and earth on the rare occasions that we do strap them on

Thank you for recognizing your shortcomings.

I speak as one who has been taken out by an out of control skier.

Lessons are a big help tho. And there are times when I have to think about whether I want to ski or climb. It's that much fun.

I usually climb.

snow shoes are critical to big stupid fools like me that can't ski & are a menace to everything between the heavens and earth on the rare occasions that we do strap them on

Put some time in. I'm a big stupid fool and I figured it out in one season with a concentrated effort.

I'm no rockstar but I can get around on skis now.