Read any Good Books Lately?

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Forbidden Knowledge by R. Shattuck.

Pretty good, basically two different books on the same subject (is there some knowledge that should be forbidden? What knowledge in history has been forbidden by whom, to whom, and for what reason).

The first half is good if you are well read in classic lit. The second half is good for anyone interested in current issues around knowledge and its political impacts.

Also read "Philosophy in the Boudior" because it was referred to so much in the first book.

Pretty good, basically two different books on the same subject (is there some knowledge that should be forbidden? What knowledge in history has been forbidden by whom, to whom, and for what reason).

The first half is good if you are well read in classic lit. The second half is good for anyone interested in current issues around knowledge and its political impacts.

Also read "Philosophy in the Boudior" because it was referred to so much in the first book.

what were you impressions of the 2nd book?

Just got "Fear of Knowledge" by Paul Boghossian. You might like it.

""His analysis is something of a tour de force: subtle and original enough to attract the attention of professional philosophers but accessible enough to be read by anyone with an interest in the subject. The result is one of the most readable works in philosophy in recent years."--Wall Street Journal

what were you impressions of the 2nd book?

A good, clear, complete description of the Libertine belief system.

i have kind of a short attention span but one thing i like to do is like wikipedia surfing where i take a topic i know a little about but most of what i know is wrong so i look it up in wikipedia and set myself straight and then i click the crossreferences and stumble upon lots of interesting stuff, mostly history kind of things.

I'm currently re-reading The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert Caro. IMO one of the best nonfiction books (and the best biography) I've ever read. Fascinating look at transportation, urban development, politics and governmental power. It's long, but very readable.

On the fiction front, I recently read Seeing Calvin Coolidge in a Dream by John Derbyshire which was quite enjoyable, but not spectacular.

i have kind of a short attention span but one thing i like to do is like wikipedia surfing where i take a topic i know a little about but most of what i know is wrong so i look it up in wikipedia and set myself straight and then i click the crossreferences and stumble upon lots of interesting stuff, mostly history kind of things.

I grew up with a set of encyclopedias, a dictionary, and about fifty years worth of National Geographics on the bookshelves next to my bed, and developed a similar habit. Still prefer the hard-copy format as I'm more likely to stumble over something while flipping through pages than in a directed search.

I grew up with a set of encyclopedias, a dictionary, and about fifty years worth of National Geographics on the bookshelves next to my bed, and developed a similar habit. Still prefer the hard-copy format as I'm more likely to stumble over something while flipping through pages than in a directed search.

+1

"the american plague" - interesting non-fiction detailing the mephis yellow fever outbreak of 1878 which killed a whole fuck-load of white-folk (interestingly, an evolved resistance to the virus spared most african-americans) and then the story of walter reed's campaign to discover the cause and cure for the disease, which had a fascinating tendency to kill the very scientists studying it :)

Cool. Whadya learn?

just this morning i was reading up on Kim Philby and other true spy stories that inspired tinker tailor soldier spy

yeah i used to randomly read encyclopedias when i was a kid too. we had one not very good encyclopedia called "the treasurehouse of knowledge" - gotta love the title. it was really interesting because it was printed just before WWII and it was fascinating to read about Hitler before he became infamous, and also the Maginot Line when it was still considered invincible.

Edited by lI1|1!

My 5th grader brought home "Peak" by Roland Smith. We've been reading it together, taking turns reading aloud. Definitely directed toward young people, but not bad.

my son's school is starting a program like that - read one book together every month then meet with all the other participants in the program to discuss it. :tup:

You'd like http://www.stumbleupon.com/

Cool. Whadya learn?

just this morning i was reading up on Kim Philby and other true spy stories that inspired tinker tailor soldier spy

You should read Declare by Tim Powers, everything no one ever told you about Philby, Noah's Ark, the Djinn, TE Lawrence, and the super secret British, German, & Soviet paranormal spy programs.

as well as War and Peace (in English).

i remember the only reason i could finish w&p was my absolute and complete hatred of every single character and my desire to see all of them come to the worst possible end...

i did really dig tolstoy's "how much land does a man need?" short-story though

as well as War and Peace (in English).

i remember the only reason i could finish w&p was my absolute and complete hatred of every single character and my desire to see all of them come to the worst possible end...

Wow, pretty harsh. I find most of the characters to be typically bland/aristocracy mold. Nobody I hate yet. I am appreciating some of Tolstoy's insight into human nature - there's a gem or two in almost every few pages.