Larry Craig Resignation Betting Pool...

Skeezix

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he won't resign. the stubborn dumb ass will ride out the rest of his term as a lame duck in obscurity with GW. he'll annoucne that he won't seek re-election and then he'll retire to the ranch where he'll have brokeback mountain playing 24/7 on his widescreen tv.

What's kind of weird is that we pay policemen to hang around men's rooms to solicit blowjobs. Aren't there, er, more important crimes out there to prevent?

What!!?? comeon... public gay sex is a threat to our constitution... sort of like terrorism only different.

the sting operations are fairly common because gay sex is fairly common in public restrooms. When that becomes common it tends to overshadow other activities and the rest of the public doesn't spend so much time there....

Looks like I was all of 1 hour early :moondance:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...

From Talking Point Memo

09.04.07 -- 11:15PM // link

More on Craig's (un)resignation

I would be remiss if I did not mention that after Craig's weekend 'resignation' a number of TPM Readers wrote in to say that his resignation didn't seem nearly as firm or unequivocal as press reports were portraying it. I understood the logic of the parsing, but I still didn't buy it.

What did make me wonder was the legal team Craig signed on -- Craig has hired two vey big team DC lawyers, Billy Martin (crisis management and miscellaneous) and Stan Brand (ethics investigation).

Now, I'm actually not even sure if they go ahead with an ethics investigation once you've resigned. But if they did, who cares?

On the criminal law front, what is there to fight about? Craig is like a senatorial Wile E. Coyote. He's fifteen feet out past the edge of the cliff on the criminal procedure front. The only reason he hasn't fallen yet is that he hasn't looked down.

I've now spoken to a couple DC defense attorney friends who both say that a good defense attorney could have gotten the whole thing thrown out just on the basis of the interrogation. But as far I know, a guilty plea is virtually impossible to take back. Not impossible -- there's always an exception. But my sense is that to even have a shot at it you need some massive procedural flaw in what happened. Changing your mind or not being gay doesn't count.

All of which is to say that the extent of Craig's lawyering up should have been the tell that this story wasn't quite over.

--Josh Marshall