Single person tent?

fredrogers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

answers to Caveman's challenges:

on and off glaciers, I use collapsible ski-trekking poles, and have many a time pitched my tarp between them. the poles have many other uses as well, and I almost never hike without them. however, for those who eschew poles, I've also pitched a tarp between piles of snow or rocks, which piles I have constructed for that purpose. A featureless rock slab would be more of a challenge, but I wouldn't be able to anchor a free-standing tent on a featureless rock slab to withstand a 60mph+ wind unless I also carried a drill and bolts.

in 60mph+ winds, I have used snow trenches, snow-block walls, rock walls, and vegetation to shelter tarps from the windblast.(most sensible tenters also use these resources to protect their tents) on the Peters Glacier on Denali, I know of tents that have been picked up and carried away by the wind with people in them!!! under such conditions, my tarp has made a perfect groundsheet in my igloo or snowcave.

sheltering a tarp-rig from sideways rain is no more complicated than sheltering it from wind. a wall of snow-blocks, rocks, or the lee of some trees or brush (better yet, an opening surrounded by trees or brush) does the trick.

tents have their place: they are convenient-in most cases they are easier than tarps- and they keep out bugs. I own several tents, and use them all on different styles of trips. But when I want to go ultralight, I always choose the tarp.

[ 09-05-2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: haireball ]

Cavey -

That Haireball guy knows. But you are right: on a glacier there is little place to anchor a tarp. I primarily use the tarp when I am undertaking a trip that will involve camping in the trees--which is most of the time I go anywhere in Washington (though maybe not on a volcano or on those occasions when I deliberately seek a high camp with a view).

quote:

Originally posted by haireball:

ignorance, once enlightened, readily surrenders to wisdom. stupidity clings to itself, scorning facts and proofs.

Well it turns out you are just making the same points I was. It aint the best all the time. You're just trying to prove a point. [laf] If you choose to call me stupid and ignorant Mr Haire I can assure you would not do so in person [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Uncle Tricky:

I brought a tarp and a tent for a two month paddling trip down the coast of BC. Never once set up the tent.

I've used tarps much in the BWCA - they work excellent for water bound trips, when your spending much time at a low elevation amongst trees. I've yet to find a tarp particularly versatile for a mountaineering trip - they're a pain to set up above treeline (yes you can set them up well - but I don't spend 30 minutes making camp), and they dont' handle adverse weather as well.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

disposable tent:

Used these as a kid. Strung a line through the tube between a couple trees, then used clothes pins to seal the door. You local gun-nut, survivalist, army-surplust store might have them.

take six of them