Single person tent?

fredrogers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SD Light Year is a nice choice. Neither ultra-lightweight nor ultra-expensive, solid, comfy, and very much a smaller version of a 2 man tent in terms of roominess. You can find them on sale on the Internet for around $125.

Oh, whoops, you said super-lightweight, never mind!! [Eek!]

[rockband]

[ 08-21-2002, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

• 2 weeks later...

if going solo...

the betamid is smaller and lighter than megamid (2.5 lbs w/out floor) if u use trekking poles, which double as tent poles. the one draw back to not taking floor (another 1.5 lbs) is that if its buggy and the tent is staked low to ground, the condensation builds up quick so make sure your not up against one side.

other than that...the betamid does fit the bill for a bomber, lightweight shelter.

ps

on the outside of betamid, on the twin peaks, r 2 loops that enable it to b pitched using rope between to trees, etc. if u dont use poles for hiking...megamid Might b the same way, not sure.

ive used my betamid for 4 season use and love it.

When camped below timberline, I'd much rather hang out under a tarp than in a tent. As Haireball noted, you can set them high or low, depending on wind and rain, but the thing I like about tarp camping is that you can cook breakfast in bed, while enjoying the scenery. When snow camping on ski trips, everybody always looks at me suspiciously when I suggest bringing a tarp and they bring their tent anyway -- "just in case." Then they usually spend the entire trip hanging under my tarp because it is so much more comforbable.

I've used a megamid for some time. I find them awesome in the snow but limited on ground. Things get unavoidably wet and heavy winds can be miserable no matter how well you anchor the thing down. Bugs can be miserable. That said I use one a lot. Sleeps 4 if necessary! They don't vent well and you can find yourself in a tropical rainforest when the sun hits the frozen vapor on the sides from the night.

Q: What's more cramped than a bivi bag?

A: A bivi bag underneath a tarp pitched down low.

I slept through a bit of a blizzard this summer with a bivi bag and a tarp, and it worked great - but I wouldn't want to do it for an extended period. We were up on Cache Col and there were gusts of wind from different directions, so I had to pitch it really close to the ground. I'll stick to a tent for longer trips, or trips with a marginal forecast, unless the whole trip is below timberline. And I would rather have a tent that can be pitched fly first.

if I hadn't spent MONTHS in the mountains in bad weather under tarps, I wouldn't have recommended it. I'd have to agree with MattP that if you're getting soaked under a tarp, it's due to operator error. the most common error is poor location, and I've seen at least as many boneheads soaked in poorly located multi-hundred $$$ tents as under poorly pitched or poorly located tarps. I will grant that ya don't always have the most ideal site available for choice - but when that's the case, then the choice is to be cheap wet or expensive wet...

go himalayan soloist and poach time in other people's tents while they are outr climbing. also piss in their water bottles and eat their food. justify it by claiming no ethics over 8000m [big Grin] if they complain show em a jimmied altimiter and say you are at 8420m right now! if they still complain warn them they are about to enter the death zone! [Roll Eyes]