What is to do in Portland?

TREETOAD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good coffee - most will say Stumptown Roasters, but there are a ton of great shops around town. Stumptown actually seems to be taking over, and will probably wind up in Seattle soon. In NE, The Albina Press is solid. Billy is a pretty solid pebble wrestler and a world champion barista. There are so many options - Costello's on Broadway, etc.

Good beer - Produce Row carries the famous Terminal Gravity brews on tap, Horse Brass Pub gives the English experience complete with smoke, and the ubiquitous McMenimans taverns are fairly reliable if you're in a jam. The Rose and Raindrop is another option, and the Lucky Lab has recently been very kind to mountain rescue units. They have two locations, the original is on Hawthorne. A number of 2nd run theaters like the Laurelhurst and Baghdad let you drink while watching a movie. A nice combo.

I'm sure others will ring in to point out the obvious stuff I've forgotten.

Good coffee - most will say Stumptown Roasters, but there are a ton of great shops around town. Stumptown actually seems to be taking over, and will probably wind up in Seattle soon. In NE, The Albina Press is solid. Billy is a pretty solid pebble wrestler and a world champion barista. There are so many options - Costello's on Broadway, etc.

Good beer - Produce Row carries the famous Terminal Gravity brews on tap, Horse Brass Pub gives the English experience complete with smoke, and the ubiquitous McMenimans taverns are fairly reliable if you're in a jam. The Rose and Raindrop is another option, and the Lucky Lab has recently been very kind to mountain rescue units. They have two locations, the original is on Hawthorne. A number of 2nd run theaters like the Laurelhurst and Baghdad let you drink while watching a movie. A nice combo.

I'm sure others will ring in to point out the obvious stuff I've forgotten.

Yeah....what the Commander said!

Thanks a lot, We are staying on Hawthorne at the hostel near the Bagdad. Looking very much forward to this little trip.

go to The SAGE FOOT. best 40 bucks i have spent in i don't know how long.

What do you get for 40 bucks? :hcluv: ?

a foot bath and a 20 minute foot massage. it was a lovely way to regroup after walking around all day.

My dad used to stay at that hotel when he was in town visiting until he found out there's a police substation in one of the rooms and they run the plates of every guest that checks in. Apparently quite a few arrests have been made that way... And it's next to Safari, which is quite a questionable joint. Pretty convenient having a sleezy motel next to a seedy strip club.

You bringing yer rockshoes and a harness Toad?

The link to the few remaining pussies who still get on rock in PDX link.

There's about 3 or 4 places relatively close to get a pump, depending on how much time you have etc etc.

PS, did not see this yet, but Powell's bookstore in NW Portland (not the technical bookstore which is a few blocks away but smaller) downtown is a hell of a great place to browse if you like books. Furthermore, you can grab a book you like and wander right into the in store coffeshop and read it if you desire.

From there- its a short walk to 2 great lil places: Bridgeport, where the IPA wins awards and the Blue Heron is sublime. They sell "cask conditioned ales" which are not available elsewhere that are significantly smoother and of a more full flavor. Unfortunately, it's no longer a cozy rathole with the best Pizza and Caesar Salads in NW PDX, but a more upscale, expensive environment (Still it's good food). Rogue ales is fairly good as well and even closer to Powells.

Don't know SE well, sorry I can't give you better advice for that area.